This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Early Notification Warning System for Prototype Head-Up Display: Development and Evaluation of Traffic Congestion and Sharp Turn Warnings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the design and development of a prototype Head-Up Display (HUD) interface that offer early notification warnings of potential collisions under unfavourable weather and traffic conditions. In this work we particularly focus our effort in the embedment of traffic congestion and sharp turn visual warnings in a working prototype interface. In turn we present the results of a large scale evaluation of the system on a group of forty users, which contrasted the use of the proposed HUD against a typical HDD. Finally the paper offers suggestions for further research and a tentative plan for future work.
CitationCharisis, V., Vlachos, G., Chan, W., and Arafat, S., "Early Notification Warning System for Prototype Head-Up Display: Development and Evaluation of Traffic Congestion and Sharp Turn Warnings," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0462, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0462.
Intelligent Vehicle Initiative (IVI) Technology Advanced Controls and Navigation, 2010
Number: SP-2264; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2264; Published: 2010-04-13
- Daganzo, C.F. “A Behavioural Theory of Multi-Lane Traffic Flow. Part 1 Long Homogenous Freeway Sections” Research Report UCB-ITS-RR-99-5 Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California Berkley 1999
- Charisis, V. Papanastasiou, S. Vlachos, G. “Comparative Study of Prototype Automotive Head Up Display vs. Head Down Display: Collision Avoidance Simulation and Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0203 2008
- Charissis V. Papanastasiou S. Vlachos G. Interface Development for Early Notification Warning System: Full Windshield Head-Up Display Case Study Book title: Human-Computer Interaction. Interacting in Various Application Domains, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5613 2009 978-3-642-02582-2 683 692 Springer Berlin/Heidelberg 2009
- Charissis V. Naef M. “Evaluation of Prototype Automotive Head-Up Display Interface: Testing Driver's Focusing Ability through a VR simulation” Proceedings of the IEEE International Intelligent Vehicle Symposium, (IV’07) Istanbul, Turkey 2007
- Charissis V. Arafat S. Chan W. Christomanos C. “Driving Simulator for Head Up Display Evaluation: Driver's Response Time on Accident Simulation Cases” Proc. of the Driving Simulation Conference DSC’06 Asia/Pacific, Tsukuba/Tokyo, Japan 2006
- Pettitt, M.A. Burnett, G.E. Bayer, S. Stevens, A. “Assessment of the Occlusion Technique as a Means for Evaluating the Distraction Potential of Driver Support Systems” IEE Proceedings of the Intelligent Transport Systems 153 4 259 266 2006
- Charissis, V. Anderson, P. 2006 “Enhancing Driver's Vision with the use of Prototype Automotive Head-Up Display Interface” Proceedings of the Vision In Vehicles, 11th International Conference, VIV‘06 Trinity College Ireland 2006
- SPD, Strathclyde Police Department “Accident Statistics 2001-2004” Glasgow, UK 2004
- Brackstone M. McDonald M. “Driver Behaviour and Traffic Modelling. Are We Looking at the Right Issues?” Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2003 Columbus, Ohio, USA June 2003
- Park, G. Rosenthal, T.J. Aponso, B.L. “Developing driving scenarios for research, training and clinical applications” International Journal of Advances in Transportation Studies 19 28 2004
- Kiefer R.J. et al. “Development and Validation of Functional Definitions and Evaluation Procedures for Collision Warnings/Avoidance Systems” Final Report for U.S. Department of Transportation, NHTSA Technical report Washington, D.C. 1999
- Bloomfield, J. R. et al. “Using an Automated Speed, Steering, and Gap Control System and a Collision Warning System When Driving in Fog.” Federal Highway Administration Technical Report No. FHWA-RD-98-050 1998
- Charissis V. Naef M. Papanastasiou S. Patera M. “Designing a Direct Manipulation HUD Interface for In-Vehicle Infotainment” Book title: Human-Computer Interaction. Interaction Platforms and Techniques, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4551 2007 978-3-540-73106-1 551 559 Springer Berlin/Heidelberg 2007
- Yamanaka, K. Maeda, K. Miyoshi, T. Hayashi, H. Nakayasu, H. “Evaluation of Response Properties on Automobile Driver Based on Design of Experiment” International Journal of Advances in Transportation Studies 6 37 56 2005