This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Forming Effects to Product Attribute Coupled CAE Process and Benefits Investigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Typical automotive body structures are assemblies of stamped steel parts. The stamping process work hardens and thins the parts. The work hardening effects are more pronounced for advanced high strength steels such as DP600. It is now widely accepted in the industry that forming effects must be incorporated into the product attribute models to improve simulation accuracy. This paper investigates some of the challenges in incorporating the forming effects into product attribute models during the automotive product development process and presents solutions. It also investigates how the significance of the coupled forming to attribute CAE method varies based on the initial design thickness of a part. The paper concludes by reviewing component and vehicle level results achieved by the incorporation of the coupled process.
CitationSohmshetty, R., Ramachandra, R., and Bhimaraddi, A., "Forming Effects to Product Attribute Coupled CAE Process and Benefits Investigation," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0448, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0448.
- Faruque M.O. Mallela K. Zeng D. Saha N. “Effect of Forming on Crash Performance of an Automotive Structure - An Analytical Study” SAE 2005
- “CAE Analyses for the IMPACT Project” Geck Paul Sohmshetty Raj Zaluzec Matt Johnson Carl Association for Iron Steel Technology's International Conference on Advanced High Strength Sheet Steels for Automotive Applications Colorado June 6-8 2004
- Tyan Tau “Impact Testing and Modeling of DP600 Front Rails” Great Designs In Steel Seminar March 2006
- Yan, B. Kantner, C. Zhu, H. Nadkarni, G. Horvath, C. “Evaluation of Crush Performance of a Hat Section Component Using Dual Phase and Martensitic Steels,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0837 2005
- Chen, G. Liu, S-D. Knoerr, L. Sato K. Liu, J. “Residual Forming Effects on Full Vehicle Frontal Impact and Body-in-White Durability Analyses,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0640 2002