This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Injection Effect on In-cylinder Formation and Exhaust Emission of Particulate from a 4-Stroke Engine for 2-Wheel Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The small engine for two-wheel vehicles has generally high possibility to be optimized at low speeds and high loads. In these conditions fuel consumption and pollutants emission should be reduced maintaining the performance levels. This optimization can be realized only improving the basic knowledge of the thermo-fluid dynamic phenomena occurring during the combustion process.
It is known that, during the fuel injection phase in PFI SI engines, thin films of liquid fuel can form on the valves surface and on the cylinder walls. Successively the fuel films interact with the intake manifold and the combustion chamber gas flow. During the normal combustion process, it is possible to achieve gas temperature and mixture strength conditions that lead to fuel film ignition. This phenomenon can create diffusion-controlled flames that can persist well after the normal combustion event. These flames induce the emission of soot and unburned hydrocarbons.
In this paper, experimental activities were carried out in the combustion chamber of a single-cylinder 4-stroke optical engine. The engine was equipped with a four-valve head of a commercial Piaggio engine for 2-wheel vehicle. Two injectors were tested: standard 3-hole injector and 10-hole injector for multi-cylinder engine of a passenger car.
High spatial resolution digital imaging was used to characterize the flame propagation. The presence of diffusion-controlled flames near the valves and on the cylinder walls was investigated. The flames induced the formation of unburned hydrocarbons and soot particles. The in-cylinder optical investigations were correlated with particulate emissions. The effect of three-way catalyst on the exhaust particles was examined.
CitationMerola, S., Sementa, P., Tornatore, C., Carmignani, L. et al., "Fuel Injection Effect on In-cylinder Formation and Exhaust Emission of Particulate from a 4-Stroke Engine for 2-Wheel Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0354, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0354.
SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology, 2010
Number: SP-2278; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2278; Published: 2010-04-13
- MOTC Number of registered motorcycle around the world, Table 3-2 Taipei, Republic of China Ministry of Transport and Communications 2008
- Han, X. Naeher, L.P. 2006 A review of traffic-related air pollution exposure assessment studies in the developing world Environmental International 32 106 120
- Singh, S.K. 2006 Future mobility in India: implications for energy demand and CO2 emission Transport Policy 13 398 412
- Vasic, A.-M. Weilenmann, M. 2006 Comparison of real-world emissions from two wheelers and passenger cars Environmental Science and Technology 40 149 154
- Ntziachristos, L. Mamakos, A. Samaras, Z. Xanthopoulos, A. Iakovou, E. 2006 Emission control options for power two wheelers in Europe Atmospheric Environment 40 4547 4561
- Wang Y-P. Wilkinson G. B. Drallmeier J. A. Parametric study on the fuel film breakup of a cold start PFI engine Experiments in Fluids 37 2004 385 398
- Stanglmaier, R.H. Li, J. Matthews, R.D. “The Effect of In-Cylinder Wall Wetting Location on the HC Emissions from SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0502 1999
- Fox, J.W. Min, K.D. Cheng, W.K. Heywood, J.B. “Mixture Preparation in a SI Engine with Port Fuel Injection During Starting and Warm-Up,” SAE Technical Paper 922170 1992
- Felton, P.G. Kyritsis, D.C. Fulcher, S.K. “LIF Visualization of Liquid Fuel in the Intake Manifold During Cold Start,” SAE Technical Paper 952464 1995
- Dawson, M. Hochgreb, S. “Liquid Fuel Visualization Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence During Cold Start,” SAE Technical Paper 982466 1998
- Carvalho IS Heitoyr MV Santos D 2002 Liquid film disintegration regimes and proposed correlations Int J Multiphase Flow 28 773 789
- Bockhorn, H. 1994 Soot Formation in Combustion: Mechanisms and Models Springer Berlin
- Drake, M.C. Fansler, T.D. Solomon, A.S. Szekely, G.A., Jr. “Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct- Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547 2003
- Shin, Y. Cheng, W.K. Heywood, J.B. “Liquid Gasoline Behaviour in the Engine Cylinder of a SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 941872 1994
- Zhu, G.S. Reitz, R.D. Xin, J. Takabayashi, T. 2001 Modelling Characteristics of Gasoline Wall Films in the Intake Port of Port Fuel Injection Engines Int. J. of Engine Research 2 4 231 248
- Heywood, J.B. 1988 ‘Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals’ New York McGraw-Hill
- AVL user manual AVL Graz, Austria 2003
- Mörsch, O. Sorsche, P. (DaimlerChrysler AG) Investigation of Alternative Methods to Determine Particulate Mass Emissions http://www.oica.net/htdocs
- Costanzo, V.S. Heywood, J.B. “Mixture Preparation Mechanisms in a Port Fuel Injected Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2080 2005
- Gold, M.R. Arcoumanis, C. Whitelaw, J.H. Gaade, J. Wallace, S. 2000 Mixture Preparation Strategies in an Optical Four-Valve Port-Injected Gasoline Engine Int. J. of Engine Research 1 1 41 56
- Nogi, T. Ohyama, Y. Yamauchi, T. Kuroiwa H. “Mixture Formation of Fuel Injection Systems in Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 880558 1988
- Meyer, R. Heywood, J.B. “Liquid Fuel Transport Mechanisms into the Cylinder of a Firing Port-Injected SI Engine During Start Up,” SAE Technical Paper 970865 1997
- Bianco, Y. Cheng, W.K. Heywood, J.B. “The Effects of Initial Flame Kernel Conditions on Flame Development in SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 912402 1991
- Witze, P.O. Hall, M.J. Bennet, M.J. “Cycle-Resolved Measurements of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Correlated with Combustion Duration,” SAE Technical Paper 900023 1990
- Ganesan, V. Internal Combustion Engines, 2/e McGraw-Hill 2003
- Merola, S.S. Sementa, P. Tornatore, C. Vaglieco, B.M. “Effect of Injection Phasing on Valves and Chamber Fuel Deposition Burning in a PFI Boosted Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0428 2008
- Merola, S.S. Sementa, P. Tornatore, C. Vaglieco, B.M. 2008 Effect of the Fuel Injection Strategy on the Combustion Process in a PFI Boosted Spark-Ignition Engine Proc. ECOS 2008 Conference I 467
- Abdul-Khalek, I.S. Kittelson, D.B. “Real Time Measurement of Volatile and Solid Exhaust Particles Using a Catalytic Stripper,” SAE Technical Paper 950236 1995