This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Computational Approach to Evaluate the Vehicle Interior Noise from Greenhouse Wind Noise Sources
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For most car manufacturers, aerodynamic noise is becoming the dominant high frequency noise source (≻500 Hz) at highway speeds. Design optimization and early detection of issues related to aeroacoustics remain an experimental art implying high cost prototypes, expensive wind tunnel sessions, and potentially late design changes. To reduce the associated costs as well as development times, there is strong motivation for the development of a reliable numerical prediction capability. This paper presents a computational approach that can be used to predict the vehicle interior noise from the greenhouse wind noise sources, during the early stages of the vehicle developmental process so that design changes can be made to improve the wind noise performance of the vehicle. This method is based on coupling an unsteady Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) solver for the wind noise excitation to a Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) solver for the structural acoustic behavior; both the CFD and SEA codes are well-validated industry standard tools. In this paper the computational approach is applied on a real production vehicle to reduce the noise contribution from the green house region. Multiple mirror configurations are considered and the computational results are validated against wind tunnel test measurements.
CitationLepley, D., Graf, A., Powell, R., and Senthooran, S., "A Computational Approach to Evaluate the Vehicle Interior Noise from Greenhouse Wind Noise Sources," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0285, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0285.
- Lepley, D. Senthooran, S. Hendriana, D. Frazer, T. “Numerical Simulations and Measurements of Mirror-Induced Wind Noise,” SAE Int. J. of Pass. Cars - Mech. Sys. 2 1 1550 1562 2009
- Chen, H. Teixeira, C. Molvig, K. “Digital Physics Approach to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Some Basic Theoretical Features,” Intl. J. Mod. Phys. C 8 4 1997 675
- Chen, S. Doolen, G. “Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows” Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 30 329 364 1998
- Senthooran, S. “Numerical simulation of wind noise on the sideglass of a production automobile” FISITA Paper F2006D124 2006
- Senthooran, S. et al “Prediction of Wall Pressure Fluctuations on an Automobile Side-glass using a Lattice-Boltzman Method,” AIAA 2006-2559 2006
- Moron, P. Powell, R. Freed, D. Perot, F. Crouse, B. Neuhierl, B. Ullrich, F. Hoell, M. Waibl, A. Fertl, C. “A CFD/SEA Approach for Prediction of Vehicle Interior Noise due to Wind Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2203 2009