This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Testing of a Novel Environmentally-Benign Automotive Oil Filter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the design, construction and operation of a novel environmentally-friendly automotive oil filter. Whereas conventional paper media spin-on oil filters are inexpensive and easy to use, they are hard to recycle because of their rugged construction and dissimilar material contents. Used oil filters are disposed off at an annual rate of half a billion in the US alone. They typically end up in municipal waste streams, thereby creating both a solid waste issue and a ground waste contamination issue, as discarded filters invariably contain residual amounts of waste oil. To address these issues, the objective of this work has been to design an environmentally-friendly oil filter. Such a filter is composed of a permanent, but dismantable, filter housing and a replaceable cartridge. The cartridge is made of ceramic honeycomb which can be produced to possess excellent filtration efficiency. Upon replacement, the used ceramic cartridge may be readily crushed to recover all the contaminated used motor oil. The remaining ceramic powder may be treated and re-used. Prototypes were designed, constructed and tested using silicon carbide (SiC) filters, manufactured by Notox. The filtration efficiency of these filters was measured to be 89%, for contaminant particle size as small as 4 μm, whereas their backpressure was in line with conventional paper media filters.
CitationLevendis, Y., "Design and Testing of a Novel Environmentally-Benign Automotive Oil Filter," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0272, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0272.
- Used Oil Management Association, UOMA www.usedoilrecycling.com August 2009
- Peaslee, K.D. Roberts D.E. “Characterization of used automotive oil filters for recycling” Resources, Conservation and Recycling 19 81 91 1997
- Harmful effects of Used Automotive oil http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/epd/epdpa/ips/oil/ August 2009
- Pfeifer, P. E. Finnigan, F. T. “Effect of Oil Filtration on Valve Lifter Wear,” SAE Technical Paper 650865 1965
- Oey, F. Mehta, S. Levendis, Y. A. “Diesel Vehicle Application of an Aerodynamically Regenerated Trap and EGR System,” SAE Technical Paper 950370 1995
- Larsen, C. Oey, F. Levendis, Y. A. “An Optimization Study on the Control of NO x and Particulate Emissions from Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 960473 1996
- Den Besten, J. A. Leverenz, E.G. Bloom, C. M. “Modern Approach to Piston Ring-Bore Assembly Wear Determination,” SAE Technical Paper 660081 1966
- NoTox Corp. www.notox.com August 2009
- Fundamentals of Air Pollution Engineering Flagan Richard Seinfeld John Prentice Hall 1988
- SAE Handbook 2000 SAE International
- Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply Corp. “Finding the right filter” http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_lfs_intro/r_lfs_flflw/r_lfs_flflw.html August 2009