This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation and Enhancement of a Heavy Truck Simulation Model with an Electronic Stability Control Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Validation was performed on an existing heavy truck vehicle dynamics computer model with roll stability control (RSC). The first stage in this validation was to compare the response of the simulated tractor to that of the experimental tractor. By looking at the steady-state gains of the tractor, adjustments were made to the model to more closely match the experimental results. These adjustments included suspension and steering compliances, as well as auxiliary roll moment modifications. Once the validation of the truck tractor was completed for the current configuration, the existing 53-foot box trailer model was added to the vehicle model. The next stage in experimental validation for the current tractor-trailer model was to incorporate suspension compliances and modify the auxiliary roll stiffness to more closely model the experimental response of the vehicle. The final validation stage was to implement some minor modifications to the existing RSC model.
Following the steady-state validation of the current model, the dynamic response of the vehicle was tested using a ramp steer maneuver. The current simulation model worked in parallel with an RSC model which simulated the workings of the RSC portion of a commercial electronic stability control (ESC) system. The vehicle model was simulated with the RSC system activated and deactivated to study the effectiveness of the RSC system in preventing tractor-trailer rollover. It was found that when the RSC control was activated, the vehicle experienced much greater dynamic forces but still did not experience rollover until significantly greater speeds compared to simulations with the RSC switched off.
CitationMcnaull, P., Guenther, D., Heydinger, G., Grygier, P. et al., "Validation and Enhancement of a Heavy Truck Simulation Model with an Electronic Stability Control Model," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0104, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0104.
Tire and Wheel Technology and Vehicle Dynamics and Handling, 2010
Number: SP-2261; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2261; Published: 2010-04-13
- National Center for Statistics and Analysis, National Highway Traffic Safety Admininstration Traffic Safety Facts - Large Trucks 2009
- National Center for Statistics and Analysis Fatality Analysis Reporting System. June 16 2009 http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx
- The Mathworks, Inc. www.mathworks.com
- Mechanical Simulation Corp. www.carsim.com/products/trucksim/index.php
- Dunn, A.L. Heydinger, G.J. Rizzoni, G. Guenther, D. “In-Depth Analysis of the Influence of High Torque Brakes on the Jackknife Stability of Heavy Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3398 2003
- Zaugg, B.C. Development of Heavy Truck ABS and Limit Maneuvers Model. The Ohio State University 2004
- Zaugg, B.C. Heydinger, G.J. Guenther, D.A. Dunn, A.L. et al. “The Development of a Heavy Truck ABS Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0413 2005
- Shurtz, M.L. Guenther, D.A. Heydinger, G.J. Zagorski, S.B. “Refinements of a Heavy Truck ABS Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0839 2007
- Chandrasekharan, S. Development of a Tractor-Semitrailer Roll Stability Control Model The Ohio State University 2007
- Chandrasekharan, S. Guenther, D.A. Heydinger, G.J. Salaani, M.K. et al. “Development of a Roll Stability Control Model for a Tractor Trailer Vehicle,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 670 679 2009
- Chandrasekharan, S. Guenther, D.A. Heydinger, G.J. Salaani, M.K. et al. “Simulation Results from a Model of a Tractor Trailer Vehicle Equipped with Roll Stability Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0098 2010
- Winkler, C.B. Bogard, S.E. Karamihas, S.M. Parameter Measurements of a Highway Tractor and Semitrailer. Ann Arbor The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 1995
- Heydinger, G.J. Garrott, W.R. Chrstos, J.P. Guenther, D.A. “A Methodology for Validating Vehicle Dynamics Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 900128 1990
- Heydinger, G.J. Howe, J.G. “Analysis of Vehicle Response Data Measured During Severe Maneuvers,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1644 2000
- McNaull, P.J. Modeling and Validation of a Heavy-Truck Model With Electronic Stability Control. The Ohio State University 2009
- McNaull, P.J. Heydinger, G.J. Guenther, D.A. Salaani, M.K. et al. “Integration of a Torsional Stiffness Model into an Existing Heavy Truck Vehicle Dynamics Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0099 2010
- Vehicle Research and Test Center Dynamic Testing of Heavy-Truck Systems. East Liberty National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 2008