This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Integrated Design Method for Articulated Heavy Vehicles with Active Trailer Steering Systems
- Journal Article
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0092
ISSN: 1946-3995, e-ISSN: 1946-4002
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Citation: He, Y., Islam, M., and Webster, T., "An Integrated Design Method for Articulated Heavy Vehicles with Active Trailer Steering Systems," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Mech. Syst. 3(1):158-174, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0092.
- Palkovics, L. and Fries, A. Intelligent electronic systems in commercial vehicles for enhanced traffic safety, Vehicle System Dynamics, 2001, 35(4-5), 227-289.
- Fancher, P. and Winkler, D. Directional performance issues in evaluation and design of articulated heavy vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 2007, 45(7-8), 607-647.
- El-Gindy, M., Mrad, N. and Tong, X. Sensitivity of rearward amplification control of a tractor/full trailer to tyre cornering stiffness variable, Proc. IMechE, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 2001, 215, 579-588.
- Prem, H., Ramsay, E., Pont, J., McLean, J. and Woodrooffe, J. Comparison of modelling systems for performance-based assessments of heavy vehicles (Performance based standards - NRTC/Austroads project A3 and A4), The National Road Transport Commission (NRTC), Working Paper, October 2001.
- Islam, M. and He, Y. Design synthesis of heavy articulated vehicles with rearward amplification control, In Proceedings of the 22nd Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada, May 31st to June 4th, 2009, pp. 131-132.
- Odhams, A., Roebuck, R., Cebon, D. and Winker, C. Dynamic safety of active trailer steering systems, Proc. IMechE, Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics, 2008, 222, 367-380.
- Rangavajhula, K. and Tsao, H-S. J. Active steering control of an articulated system with a tractor and three full trailers for tractor-track following, Int. J. Heavy Vehicle Systems, 2007, 14(3), 271-293.
- Rangavajhula, K. and Tsao, H-S. J. Command steering of trailers and command-steering-based optimal control of an articulated system for tractor-track following, Intn. Mech. Engrs., Vol.222, 2008. Proc. IMechE, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 2008, 222, 935-954.
- Aurell, J. and Edlund, S., “The Influence of Steered Axles on the Dynamic Stability of Heavy Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 892498, 1989.
- Jujnovich, B. and Cebon, D. Comparative performance of semi-trailer steering systems. In proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Weights and Dimensions, Delft, 16-20 June 2002, pp. 195-214.
- Wu, D-H. and Lin, J. H. Analysis of dynamic lateral response for a multi-axle-steering tractor and tractor and trailer, Int. J. of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 2003, 10(4), 281-294.
- He, Y. and McPhee, J. A design methodology for mechatronic vehicles: application of multidisciplinary optimization, multibody dynamics and genetic algorithms, Vehicle System Dynamics, 2005, 43(10), 697-733.
- Ellis, J. R. Vehicle Dynamics, Business Books Limited, London, 1969.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “A Test for Evaluating the Rearward Amplification of Multi-Articulated Vehicles,” SAE Standard J2179, Issued Sept. 1993.
- Bryson, A. and Ho, Y. Applied optimal control, optimization, estimation and control, Wiley, New York, 1975.
- Karnopp, D. Design principles for vibration controls systems using semi-active dampers, Journal of Dynamics Systems Measurement Control, 1990, 112, 448-455.
- Goldberg, D. Genetic algorithms in search, optimization, and machine learning, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1989.
- Thompson, A.G. An Active Suspension with Optimal Linear State Feedback, Vehicle System Dynamics, 1976, 5, 187-203.
- He, Y., Khajepour, A., McPhee, J. and Wang, X. Dynamic modelling and stability analysis of articulated frame steer vehicles, Int. J. Heavy Vehicle Systems, 2005, 12(1), 28-59.