This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Semiconductor Protection and Control System of Vehicle Circuits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since vehicle fires associated with electrical failures take place frequently all over the world, auto engineers have been making great efforts to solve the problem, but most of the efforts are only focused on the wiring improvement, which is not enough. In order to eliminate these fires, the author had devised an electronic circuit protector, the Semiconductor Breaker/Relay (SBR). Based on a modified SBR, several other control devices, such as the Voltage and Current Adjustor of the Generator (VCAG), the Semiconductor Start Relay (SSR), and the Semiconductor Protection and Control System (SPCS) of vehicle circuits, have been presented in this paper. If these new control devices are widely applied in vehicles, the fires caused by short circuit will be avoided because the circuit breaking control of SBR is fast and accurate; the battery service life will be extended because of the cyclic charging control effect of VCAG; and engine cold start emissions will be decreased because of the lower power consumption and the faster reaction of the catalytic converter during a cold start. By analyzing and comparing with the traditional circuit protection method, the reliability of the new technology is proved to be better, and the cost will not increase more. Further tests are still needed for the detailed numerical values about how long the battery service life will be extended and how much the cold start emission will be deceased by adopting the new technology of SPCS.
CitationLu, H., Weng, S., and Liang, C., "Semiconductor Protection and Control System of Vehicle Circuits," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0037, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0037.
- Lu Haoyi “Electronic Monitoring and Control of Vehicle Circuit System” SAE2009 Conference, 2009-01-1095 2009
- Lu Haoyi “Circuit Safety and Battery Cyclic Charging Control” 2008SAE-China Congress Proceedings China Machine Press 2008
- Lu Haoyi “An Experiment Study on Vehicle Circuit Protection. Automotive Engineering” 29 6 2007
- Lu Haoyi “Design and Research of Vehicle Circuit Semiconductor Protection System” the 14th Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference, 2007-01-3702 2007
- Kiefer Wolf “Method of operating an internal combustion powered vehicle generator with time delayed load energizing” U.S. Patent 6833630 August 4 2002
- Ament Frank “Engine load control for decreased cold start emissions U.S. Patent 7240481 July 10 2007
- Chapman Norm Zhao Futang “Principles of Electricity & Electronics for the Automotive Technician” Higher Education Press 18 27 2004