This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laser Surface Texturing of Thrust-Washers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents an experimental study to analyze the influence of laser surface texturing on engine thrust-washers performance. Thrust-washers were surface textured and compared to a conventional one. Textured thrust-washers have a potential advantage due to the presence of micro-dimples obtained by the material vaporization (ablation) due a high energy laser beam applied by a short period of time (or by successive shots at the same place with a lower beam power).
Tribological bench tests were conducted in order to check the performance of the new concept in comparison to the conventional thrust-washer. The composition, surface texturing process, microstructure of the new concept thrust-washer is described. Substantial increase on wear and seizure resistances were observed in the laser textured thrust-washers.
|Technical Paper||Life Estimation of Rolling Bearings Based on the Colors on Sliding Surfaces|
|Journal Article||A Study on Wear Progress of Plain Bearing under Mixed Lubrication Condition|
|Technical Paper||Laser Surface Texturing - Their Applications|
CitationFlores, D., Peres, W., and Morato, S., "Laser Surface Texturing of Thrust-Washers," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0192, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0192.
- MASSEY, I.D MACQUARRIE, N.A, EASTHAM, D.R, Crankshaft Bearing Materials: Development for Highly Loaded Applications Industrial Lubrication and Tribology November/December 4 11 1990
- ERDEMIR, A. Review of engineered tribological interfaces for improved boundary lubrication Tribology International 38 2005 249 256
- THOMPSON, R.J. WHITNEY, W.J., A New Concept Thrust Washer for Gasoline & Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper Series, 2002-01-1314
- BRIZMER, V. KLIGERMAN, Y. ETSION, I. A Laser Surface Textured Parallel Thrust Bearing Tribology Transactions Vol 46 2003 3 397 403
- KOVALCHENKO, A. AJAYI, O. ERDEMIR, A. FENSKE, G. ETSION, I. The effect of laser surface texturing on transitions in lubrication regimes during unidirectional sliding contact Tribology International 38 2005 219 225
- RYK, G. KLIGERMAN, Y. ETSION, I. Experimental Investigation of Laser Surface Texturing for Reciprocating Automotive Components Tribology Transactions Vol 45 2002 4 444 449
- PETTERSSON, U. JACOBSON, S. Influence of surface texture on boundary lubricated sliding contacts Tribology International 36 2003 857 864
- TUNG, S.C. McMILLAN, M.L. Automotive tribology overview of current advances and challenges for the future Tribology International 37 2004 517 536
- ASTM Standard Test Method for Ranking Resistance of Materials to Sliding Wear Using Block on Ring Wear Test: G-77-93 Philadelphia ASTM 1997
- ASTM Standard Test Method for Wear Testing with a Pin-on-Disk Apparatus: G 99–95A Philadelphia ASTM 1997