This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Radial Surface Bearing Optimization for Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this work is to develop a computational algorithm for bearing surface shape optimization. The algorithm uses the Elastohydrodynamic lubrication theory that takes into account the elastic bearing deformation due to hydrodynamic pressure distribution. This pressure distribution is calculated by solving the Reynolds equation using the Finite Elements Method (FEM). The FEM is also used to calculate the bearing radial deformation. Then an optimization methodology is applied to obtain a new bearing with better performance characteristics by changing only the geometry of the bearing surface.
CitationSalles, B., Bittencourt, M., Cruz, R., Galli, L. et al., "Radial Surface Bearing Optimization for Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0191, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0191.
- Oh K. P. Huebner, K. H. “Solution of the elastohydrodynamic finite journal bearing problem,” ASME Journal of Tribology vol. 95 342 352 1973
- Oh K. P. Goenka, P. K. “The elastohydrodynamic solution of journal bearings under dynamic loading,” ASME Journal of Tribology vol. 107 389 395 1985
- Goenka P. K. Oh, K. P. “An optimum short bearing theory for the elastohydrodynamic solution of journal bearings,” ASME Journal of Tribology vol. 108 294 299 1986
- Booker J. F. Huebner, K. H. “Application of finite element methods to lubrication: An engineering approach,” Journal of Lubrication Technology 313 323 1972
- Goenka, P. K. “Dynamically loaded journal bearings: Finite element method analysis,” ASME Journal of Tribology vol. 106 429 439 1984
- LaBouff G. A. Booker, J. F. “Dynamically loaded journal bearings: A finite element treatment for rigid and elastic surfaces,” ASME Journal of Tribology vol. 107 505 515 1985
- D. D. Jr., Tribologia, Lubrificação e Mancais de Deslizamento Rio de Janeiro Ciência Moderna 2005
- Zienkiewicz, O. Kelly, D. de S.R. Gago, J. Babuška, I. “Hierarchical finite element approaches, error estimates and adaptive refinement,” MAFELAP Brunel University 1981 313 346