This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Definition of “Fuel Efficiency” in Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 21, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2009
This paper will demonstrate that, contrary to the usual expectations, commercial vehicles with Automatic Transmissions (ATs) provide dramatically better acceleration performance than commercial vehicles with Manual Transmissions (MTs) or Automated Manual Transmissions (AMTs). It will be shown yet further that, in dynamic conditions of acceleration and deceleration, Automatic Transmissions can provide significantly higher fuel efficiency than MTs or AMTs. Finally, it will be shown that the traditional metric of “fuel consumption”, i.e., liter / 100 km, as it is usually applied to commercial vehicles, is neither an appropriate nor a realistic measure of fuel efficiency.
|Technical Paper||The Case for Mechanical Transmissions in On-Off Highway Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Development of a New 6-Speed FWD Manual Transmission|
|Journal Article||Noise Reduction in Novel Transmission with 3D Point Contact Gear System|
CitationLeopold, R., "A New Definition of “Fuel Efficiency” in Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0026, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0026.
- Jürgens, Gunter Vergleich der Verluste bei automatischen Getriebekonzepten VDI-Berichte Nr. 1943 2006 407 427
- Zafira → Brochure → technische specificaties Feb 2007
- Wagner, Gerhard Kundennutzen und Weiterentwicklungspotenzial von Automatgetriebesystemen VDI-Berichte Nr. 1943 2006 73 92
- Müller, Andreas The redesigned six speed automatic transmissions of BMW 5th Int. CTI Symposium Innovative Automotive Transmissions
- Robert Bosch GmbH Kraftfahrtechnisches Taschenbuch 26 Jan 2007 430 437
- Küçükay, Ferit Leistungsbezogener Verbrauch 5th Allison Symposium 01 October 2007
- Johansson, Leif Only the Innovative Truckmakers Will Survive (Interview with Warren Brown) Washington Post 06 May 2007