This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studies on Performance Degradation of Signaling Device (Reflective Tape) Due to Weathering and Its Effect on Road Safety
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 21, 2009 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2009
Weathering is the adverse response of a material or product to climate, often causing unwanted and premature product failure. The research and literature review shows that, in addition to the standard signaling devices, the retro-reflective marking is intended to increase the visibility (recognition) over a wide range of distances and for an easy identification of vehicles. The main characteristics of retro-reflective marking are Type of material, Coefficient of retro-reflection, Efficiency, Colour, Aging, Soiling, Shape and Pattern. Materials used for the retro reflective materials offer an impressive range of attractive properties, however the effect of weathering conditions on the durability and performance of these materials are not fully understood. The initial study conducted to provide degradation effect on retro reflective material due to weathering and its effect on road safety by simulating the weathering conditions in the laboratory as a part of accelerated tests.
|Technical Paper||Driving with HID Headlamps: A Review of Research Findings|
|Technical Paper||Motor Vehicle Forward Lighting|
|Technical Paper||Visibility from Motor Vehicles|
CitationShamsundara, B., Mannikar, A., and Shridhar, T., "Studies on Performance Degradation of Signaling Device (Reflective Tape) Due to Weathering and Its Effect on Road Safety," SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0011, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0011.
- Report on Conspicuity of Heavy Goods Vehicles Contract Number: SER-B27020B-E3-2003- Conspicuity-S07.28185 by European Commission Directorate General For Energy And Transport
- Road Accidents in India: 1970-2004, Department of Road Transport and Highways - Ministry Of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways. http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/sublinkimages/table-6408184011.htm
- ECE R 104 - Uniform Provisions Concerning The Approval Of Retro-Reflective Markings For Heavy And Long Vehicles And Their Trailers.
- AIS:90 - Approval of Retro-Reflective Markings for Heavy and Long Vehicles, their Trailers and Semi- Trailers
- George Wypych-Handbook of material weathering 3rd edition, ISBN 1-895198-28-3, Chem Tec Publishing, 2003.
- Weathering testing Guidebook by Atlas Material Testing Solutions
- ISO Standard 105 - B02 - Colour fastness to artificial light: Xenon arc fading lamp test.
- J1545 - Instrumental Color Difference Measurement For Exterior Finishes, Textiles And Colored Trim.
- ASTM D523-89(1999), “Test Method for Specular Gloss”