This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Instantaneous Fluid Dynamic Parameters in Automotive Turbocharging Circuit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
In the paper the difficulties related to measurement of instantaneous fluid dynamic parameters in the turbocharging circuit of automotive engines under unsteady flow conditions are highlighted, referring to pressure, mass flow rate, temperature and turbocharger rotational speed. Frequency response of transducers, sensor position, measuring procedures and filtering techniques need to be taken into account to correctly describe the unsteady behaviour of tested component. The results of an experimental campaign developed on a small turbocharger for downsized gasoline engines are presented, focusing on the evaluation of the instantaneous parameters that allowed to estimate unsteady turbine performance. Measurements were performed by using a flexible test rig, operating at the University of Genoa, particularly suitable for investigations under unsteady flow operation.
CitationMarelli, S. and Capobianco, M., "Measurement of Instantaneous Fluid Dynamic Parameters in Automotive Turbocharging Circuit," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0124, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0124.
- Bandel W. Fraidl G.K. Kapus P.E. Sikinger H. The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emission presented at SAE World Congress, SAE paper 2006-01-1266 2006
- Capobianco M. Marelli S. Waste-Gate Turbocharging Control in Automotive SI Engines: Effect on Turbine Steady and Unsteady Performance presented at 14 th SAE Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference, SAE paper 2007-01-3543 2007
- Piscaglia F. Onorati A. Marelli S. Capobianco M. Unsteady Behaviour in Turbocharger Turbines: Experimental Analysis and Numerical Simulation presented at 8 th SAE International Conference on Engines for Automobile, SAE Paper 2007-24-0081 2007
- Szymko S. Martinez-Botas R.F. Pullen K.R. Experimental Evaluation of Turbocharger Turbine Performance under Pulsating Flow Conditions Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, paper GT2005-68878 2005
- Winterbone D.E. Pearson R.J. Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds: Wave Action Methods for IC Engines Professional Engineering Publishing Ltd London 1999
- Watson N. Janota M.S. Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine Mac Millan Press 1982
- Rehnberg U. Ångström H.E. Olofsson U. Instantaneous On-Engine Turbine Efficiency for an SI Engine in the Closed Waste Gate Region for 2 Different Turbochargers” SAE Paper 2006-01-3389 2006