This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of Natural Gas-Hydrogen Blends on Internal Combustion Engines Performance and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2009 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The fossil fuel consumption and the related environmental impact are important issues for the world research community: hydrogen seems to be a good alternative to fossil fuels provided that it is produced from renewable energy sources.
The aim of the present work is the comparison between natural gas and a hydrogen-natural gas blend (HCNG in the following) in terms of exhaust emissions and fuel consumption. A passenger car has been tested on a chassis dynamometer according to the European emission regulations, without any change on engine calibration (i.e. spark advance). The HCNG blend used during the test has a 12% vol. of hydrogen content.
CO emissions showed a reduction of about 19% when HCNG blend is used, while HC emissions remained constant. A 70% increase was observed for NOx emissions with HCNG. A 3% reduction for CO2 emission was observed using HCNG because of the lower carbon content in the blend and the reduced fuel consumption on a mass basis. There is not significant variation of fuel consumption on energy basis, probably due to the effect of a non optimal ignition timing.
- A. Unich - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale e Meccanica - Seconda Università degli studi di Napoli – Aversa Italy
- B. Morrone - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale e Meccanica - Seconda Università degli studi di Napoli – Aversa Italy
- A. Mariani - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale e Meccanica - Seconda Università degli studi di Napoli – Aversa Italy
- M. V. Prati - Istituto Motori - CNR - Napoli Italy
CitationUnich, A., Morrone, B., Mariani, A., and Prati, M., "The Impact of Natural Gas-Hydrogen Blends on Internal Combustion Engines Performance and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0102, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-24-0102.
- Ristovski, Z. Morawska, L. Ayoko, G. A. Johnson, G. Gilbert, D. Greenaway, C. 2004 “Emissions from a vehicle fitted to operate on either petrol or compressed natural gas” Science of the Total Environment 323 179 194
- Mello, P. Pelliza, G. Cataluna, R. da Silva, R. 2006 “Evaluation of the maximum horsepower of vehicles converted for use with natural gas fuel” Fuel 85 2180 2186
- VV. AA. 2002 “GM Well-to-Wheel Analysis of Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Advanced Fuel/Vehicle Systems - A European Study” Ottobrunn, Germany http://www.lbst.de/gm-wtw
- Ilbasa, M. Crayfordb, A. P. Yilmaza, I. Bowenb, P. J. Syredb, N. “Laminar-burning velocities of hydrogen-air and hydrogen-methane-air mixtures: An experimental study” 2006 International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 31 1768 1779
- Bysveen, M. 2006 “Engine characteristics of emissions and performance using mixtures of natural gas and hydrogen” Energy 32 482 489
- Changwei J. Shuofeng W. “Effect of hydrogen addition on the idle performance of a spark ignited gasoline engine at stoichiometric condition” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 3546 3556
- Raman, V. Hansel, J. Fulton, J. Lynch, F. Bruderly, D. 1994 “Hythane - an ultraclean transportation fuel” Procs. of 10 th World Hydrogen Conference Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA
- Hoekstra, R. L. Collier, K. Mulligan, N. Chew, L. 1995 “Experimental study of a clean burning vehicle fuel” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 20 737 745
- Nagalingam, B. Duebel, F. Schmillen, K. 1983 “Performance study using natural gas, hydrogen-supplemented natural gas and hydrogen in AVL research engine” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 8 715 720
- Karim, G. A. Wierzba, I. Al-Alousi, Y. 1996 “Methane-Hydrogen mixtures as fuels” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 21 625 631
- Larsen, J. F. Wallace, J. S. 1997 “Comparison of Emissions and Efficiency of a Turbocharged Lean-Burn Natural Gas and Hythane-Fueled Engine” Transaction of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 119 218 226
- Sierens, R. Rosseel, E. 2000 “Variable Composition Hydrogen/Natural Gas Mixtures for Increased Engine Efficiency and Decreased Emissions” Transaction of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 122 135 140
- Das, L. M. Gulati, R. Gupta, P. K. 2000 “A comparative evaluation of the performance characteristics of a spark ignition engine using hydrogen and compressed natural gas as alternative fuels” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 25 783 793
- Huang, Z. Wang, J. Liu, B. Zeng, K. Yu, J. Jiang, D. 2007 “Combustion characteristics of a direct-injection engine fuelled with natural gas-hydrogen blends under different ignition timings” Fuel 86 381 387
- Mariani A. Morrone B. Unich A. 2008 “Numerical modeling of internal combustion engines fuelled by hydrogen-natural gas blends” 2008 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition Boston, USA
- http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG: 970L0220:20070101:EN:PDF