This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Adaptive Airfoil Control for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles using Smart Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Smart material is a suitable candidate for adaptive airfoil design as it can be customized to generate a specific response to a combination of inputs. Shape memory alloy (SMA) in particular is lightweight, produces high force and large deflection which makes it a suitable candidate for actuator in the adaptive airfoil design. By attaching SMA wires inside the airfoil, they can be activated to alter the shape of the airfoil. Placement of the actuator is crucial in obtaining the desired change of the airfoil camber. This paper proposed a design for the morphing wing aimed at changing the camber of the airfoil during cruise in order to increase the lift-to-drag ratio. Finite Element Method (FEM) analysis predicted the deformed airfoil geometry when the SMA wires were fully actuated. Numerical results are presented along with issues related to the fabrication of the morphing wing and implementation of the SMA actuator.
CitationAbdullah, E., Bil, C., and Watkins, S., "Design of Adaptive Airfoil Control for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles using Smart Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3272, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3272.
- Roskam J. Lan C. T. Edward L. Airplane Aerodynamics and Performance DARcorporation 2000
- Bolonkin A. Gilyard G. B. Estimated Benefits of Variable-Geometry Wing Camber Control for Transport Aircraft NASA TM 1999-206586 October 1999
- Campanille L. F. Sachau D 2000 The Belt-Rib Concept: A Structronic Approach to Variable Camber Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 11
- Dong Y. Boming Z. Jun L. 2008 A Changeable Aerofoil Actuated by Shape Memory Alloy Springs Materials Science and Engineering A 485
- Strelec J. K. Lagoudas D. C. Khan M. A. Yen J. 2003 Design and Implementation of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Reconfigurable Airfoil Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 14 4-5
- Culshaw B. Smart Structures and Materials Artech House, Inc. Boston 1996
- Fontanazza F. Talling R. Jackson M. Dashwood R. Dye D. Iannucci L. Morphing Wing Technologies Research Seas DTC First Conference 2006
- Bar-Cohen E. Electroactive Polymer (EAP) Actuators as Artificial Muscles: Reality, Potential, and Challenges 2nd PM136 SPIE Press Bellingham, WA 2004
- Nishiyama Z. Martensitic Transformations Academic Press San Diego, CA 1978
- Kaufman L. Cohen M. 1958 Martensitic transformations Progress in Metal Physics 7
- Arai K. Aramaki S. Yanagisawa K. Continuous System Modeling of Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) for Control Analysis 5th International Symposium Micro Machine Human Science 1994
- Majima S. Kodama K. Hasegawa T. 2001 Modeling of Shape Memory Alloy Actuator and Tracking Control System with the Model IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 9 1
- Moallem M. Lu J. 2005 Application of Shape Memory Alloy Actuators for Flexure Control: Theory and Experiments IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics 10 5
- Elahinia M. Ashrafiuon H. 2002 Nonlinear Control of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Manipulator Journal of Vibr. Acoust. 124
- Jayender J. 2008 Modeling and Control of Shape Memory Alloy Actuators IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 16 2
- Abdullah E. Bil C. Watkins S. Adaptive Airfoil Control System for Improving Cruise Performance of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle 3rd Australasian Unmanned Air Vehicles Conference 2009