This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling for Aerospace Wing Assembly
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditionally, in the civil aerospace industry, assembly fixtures are large, bespoke, permanent structures that are costly to both design and manufacture. Additionally, the time to design, manufacture and install a large fixture can be significant with lead times in excess of 24 months.
Within Airbus Operations Ltd there is a requirement to reduce non-recurring costs, reduce the time to market and improve the capacity and flexibility of equipment. This means that while the costs and lead times must be reduced, the utilisation of the tooling should be increased.
Flexible and reconfigurable fixtures have not yet been deployed within Airbus Operations Ltd due to the assembly sizes and complex component configurations. However, they offer the potential for reducing costs by utilising off the shelf components. Using standard parts and implementing design tools can reduce the design time. The reconfigurable and flexible nature of the fixture will also enable embodiment of late component design changes with minimal time and cost impact.
This paper presents the design, manufacture and installation of a reconfigurable fixture to assemble a wing box section in a research environment. This tooling demonstrator is then being used to evaluate the technical and industrial benefits of reconfigurable fixtures for aircraft wing sub assemblies and assemblies at Airbus.
|Technical Paper||Final Assembly Line|
|Technical Paper||Robotic Trailing Edge Flap Drilling System|
|Technical Paper||Automated Fastening of Aircraft Cargo Door Structures with a Standard Articulating Robot System|
CitationMillar, A. and Kihlman, H., "Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling for Aerospace Wing Assembly," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3243, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3243.
- Burley G.J. Corbett J 1998 Flyaway Tooling for Higher Quality, More Cost-effective Aerostructure Proceedings of the 1998 SAE , 981843
- Jamshidi J 2009 (Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling) Measurement Assisted Installation LVMA Project Document
- Jonsson M Kihlman H Ossbahr G 2008 Coordinate Controlled Fixturing for Affordable Reconfigurable Tooling Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Assembly Technologies and Systems
- Jonsson M Kihlman H 2008 Fixture Design Using Configurators Swedish Production Symposium
- Hartmann J Meeker C Weller M Izzard N Smith A Ferguson A Ellson A 2004 Determinate Assembly of Tooling Allows Concurrent Design of Airbus Wings and Major Assembly Fixtures Proceedings of the 2004 SAE , 2004-01-2832
- Helgosson P Hermanson C 2009 ReFlex Assembly Cell University of Linkoping Degree Project Thesis , LIU-IEI-TEK-A--09/00594—SE
- Kempster M.H.A 1974 Introduction to Jig and Tool Design 3rd Great Britain Edward Arnold
- Kihlman H 2005 Affordable Automation for Airframe Assembly – Development of Key Enabling Technologies University of Linkoping Dissertation Thesis No. 953, ISBN 91-85299-59-6
- Kihlman H Engström M 2006 Flexible Fixtures with Low Cost and Short Lead-Times Aerospace Manufacturing and Automated Fastening Conference & Exhibition
- Naing S 2004 Feature Based Design for Jigless Assembly PhD Thesis Cranfield University School of Industrial and Manufacturing Science