This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Acoustic-Based Wiring Diagnostic System for Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An onboard Acoustic Wiring Diagnostic System to monitor the health of aircraft wiring is under development by Innovative Dynamics Inc. The AWDS incorporates passive acoustic sensors to monitor wire chafing. The system operates continuously in-flight so that intermittent wiring fault conditions can be detected as they happen. Trend analysis data can be logged to enable pro-active maintenance prior to catastrophic failure. A key advantage of the in-situ system is to perform the inspection without removing or disconnecting the wiring. Acoustic signatures of representative aircraft wiring have been characterized under simulated damage conditions. Flight ready hardware and software have been developed and flight testing is underway on an H-53 helicopter. This paper will present the wire diagnostic approach, the AWDS flight instrumentation, and some representative lab test results.
|Automatic Flight Control Development for General Aviation
|Enhanced Environmental Control for the Harrier II Plus
|SSPC Technologies for Aircraft High Voltage DC Power Distribution Applications
CitationHickman, G., Gerardi, J., Field, S., and Kumbar, N., "An Acoustic-Based Wiring Diagnostic System for Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3192, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3192.
- Lee D. Arnason P. “U.S. Navy Wiring Systems Lessons Learned” the Joint Conference on Aging Aircraft 2000
- Aviation Magazine Dec 2003 http://www.aviationtoday.com/av
- Wheeler K. et al “Aging Aircraft Wiring Fault Detection Survey” Aviation Safety Program Aircraft Aging and Durability Project 2007
- Slenski G. Gerken S. Cummings M. “Advanced Tools for Improving Wire System Integrity” 7th Joint FAA/DOD/NASA Conference on Aging Aircraft Sept 2003
- White E. Manders M. Decker R. “Improvement of Wire System Integrity for Legacy Aircraft” 7th Joint FAA/DOD/NASA Conference on Aging Aircraft Sept 2003
- Schneider L. Howard K. Glover S. Lockner T. Dinallo M. “A New Capability to Detect and Locate Insulation Defects in Complex Wiring Systems” IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine 21 4 14 20 2005
- Ganesh M. Kumbar N. “Sensor Informatics for Wire Health Monitoring” Joint Aging Aircraft Conference Palm Springs, CA 2007