This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Acoustic-Based Wiring Diagnostic System for Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 10, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An onboard Acoustic Wiring Diagnostic System to monitor the health of aircraft wiring is under development by Innovative Dynamics Inc. The AWDS incorporates passive acoustic sensors to monitor wire chafing. The system operates continuously in-flight so that intermittent wiring fault conditions can be detected as they happen. Trend analysis data can be logged to enable pro-active maintenance prior to catastrophic failure. A key advantage of the in-situ system is to perform the inspection without removing or disconnecting the wiring. Acoustic signatures of representative aircraft wiring have been characterized under simulated damage conditions. Flight ready hardware and software have been developed and flight testing is underway on an H-53 helicopter. This paper will present the wire diagnostic approach, the AWDS flight instrumentation, and some representative lab test results.
|Technical Paper||Automatic Flight Control Development for General Aviation|
|Technical Paper||FAA Certification Criteria for Critical and Essential Digital Systems|
|Technical Paper||Centrifuge Test of an Aircraft Vapor Cycle Environmental Control System|
CitationHickman, G., Gerardi, J., Field, S., and Kumbar, N., "An Acoustic-Based Wiring Diagnostic System for Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3192, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3192.
- Lee D. and Arnason P., “U.S. Navy Wiring Systems Lessons Learned”, Presentation at the Joint Conference on Aging Aircraft, 2000.
- Aviation Magazine, Dec 2003 (http://www.aviationtoday.com/av).
- Wheeler K., et al, “Aging Aircraft Wiring Fault Detection Survey”, Prepared for the Aviation Safety Program Aircraft Aging and Durability Project, 2007.
- Slenski G., Gerken S., Cummings M., “Advanced Tools for Improving Wire System Integrity”, 7th Joint FAA/DOD/NASA Conference on Aging Aircraft, Sept 2003.
- White E., Manders M., Decker R., “Improvement of Wire System Integrity for Legacy Aircraft”, 7th Joint FAA/DOD/NASA Conference on Aging Aircraft, Sept 2003.
- Schneider L., Howard K., Glover S., Lockner T., Dinallo M., “A New Capability to Detect and Locate Insulation Defects in Complex Wiring Systems”, IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 14-20, 2005.
- Ganesh M., and Kumbar N., “Sensor Informatics for Wire Health Monitoring”, Joint Aging Aircraft Conference, Palm Springs, CA, 2007.
- U.S. Navy NAVAIR Contract N68335-06-C-0312.