This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Ride Comfort and Stability Performance Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a comprehensive testing of four different shock absorbers: three were passive and the other was readjust able to study their performance on vehicle ride and stability. For this purpose, a quarter vehicle model and a half vehicle model simulating vehicle suspension testing were devolved in non-dimensional form to study the effect of actual characteristics of shock absorbers on vehicle performance. The shock absorber characteristics were represented by the linear average value of shock absorber (both rebound and compression strokes), the linear rebound, and the compression strokes with different slopes and actual measurements characteristics. Also, a parametric study was carried out to study the effect of mass ratio and stiffness ratio on the vehicle performance. The mass ratio was defined as the ratio of the unsprung mass to the sprung mass while the stiffness ratio, was defined as the ratio of spring stiffness to tire stiffness.
The two models were numerically solved using ADAMS and the Matlab tool kit. The main output from this analysis was the response in terms of displacement, velocity, acceleration, and forces. These parameters were considered the measure of the stability and ride comfort.
CitationHegazy, S. and Sandu, C., "Vehicle Ride Comfort and Stability Performance Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2859, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2859.
- Hong, K.-S. Jeon, D.-S. Yoo, W.-S. Sunwoo, H. Shin, S.-Y. Kim, C.-M. Park, B.-S. - A New Model and an Optimal Pole-Placement Control of the MacPherson Suspension System SAE Paper 1999-01-1331
- Hong, K.-S. Sohn, H.-C. Hedrick, J.K. - Modified Skyhook Control of Semi-Active Suspensions: A New Model, Gain Scheduling, and Hardware-in-the-Loop Tuning Trans. of ASME 124 158 167 2002
- Kitching, K.J. Cole, D.J. Cebon, D. - Performance of a Semi-Active Damper for Heavy Vehicles ASME J. of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control 1999
- Ahmadian, M., Pare, K. A Quarter-Car Experimental Analysis of Alternative Semiactive Control Methods J. of Smart Material Systems and Structures 11 8 2000 604 612
- Simon, D.E., Ahmadian, M. Vehicle Evaluation of the Performance of Magneto Rheological Dampers for Heavy Truck Suspensions ASME J.of Vibration and Acoustics 123 3 2001 365 375
- Simon, D.E., Ahmadian, M. An Alternative Semiactive Control Method for Sport Utility Vehicles J. of Automobile Engineering 216 2002 125 139
- Mantaras, D. A Laque, L. Vera, C. Development and validation of a three-dimensional kinematic model for the McPherson steering and suspension mechanisms Mechanism and Machine Theory 39 2004
- Gillespie, T. D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics : Engineers Inc. 1992
- Daniels, J. Car Suspensions at Work: Theory & Practice of Steering, Handling, & Roadholding : Motor Racing Publications 1988
- Milliken, W. F. Milliken, D. L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers Inc 1995
- Rahnejat, H Multi-Body Dynamics vehicles, Machines, and Mechanisms : Professional Engineering Publishing Limited 1998
- Salaani, M.K. Heydinger, G. J. Grygier, P. A. Parameter Determination and Vehicle Dynamics Modeling For the NADS of the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu For the National Advanced Driving Simulator SAE Technical Paper Series No 2001-01-0140 2001
- Salaani, M.K. Heydinger, G.J. Grygier, D. L. Model Validation of the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu For the National Advanced Driving Simulator SAE Technical Paper Series No 2001-01-0141 2001
- Ozdalyan, B. Blundell, M.V. Phillips, B. Comparison of suspension rig measurements with computer simulation, in Simulation '98. International Conference 1998 133 139
- Andersen, E.R. Multibody Dynamics Modeling and System Identification for a Quarter-Car Test Rig with McPherson Strut Suspension in Mechanical Engineering. vol. M.S. Blacksburg: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 2007
- Andersen, E. Sandu, C. Southward, S. - Development and System Identification of a Multibody Dynamics Model for a Quarter-Car Test Rig with McPherson Strut Suspension, Paper no. 2007_01_4184, 13 pg, 2007 SAE Commercial Vehicles Engineering Congress and Exhibition, Oct. 30-Nov. 1, 2007, Chicago, IL
- Wong, J. Y. Theory of ground vehicles Third edition, John Wiley and Sons, New York 2003
- Takeuchi, T., Choi, Kg, Kan, S., Togai, K., Sensibility Analysis of Vibration Transfer Path and Control of Input Force for Reduction of Acceleration and Deceleration Shock Technical Review Papers, no.15 2003
- Hegazy, S. A Model simulating vehicle suspension testing 11 Th International Conference on Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering, MTC, Cairo, Egypt 2004
- Hegazy S. Modeling and Simulation of Tracked Vehicles for Pitch, Bounce and Roll 11 Th International Conference on Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering, MTC, Cairo, Egypt 2004
- Marwan, A. Ride Comfort and Vehicle Handling Performance Evaluation MSc thesis MTC, Cairo, Egypt 2005
- Pinhas, B. Magic Numbers in design of suspensions for passenger cars SAE paper No. 911921 1991
- Kjell, A Johan, G Calculation of reference ride quality, using ISO 2631 vibration evaluation 36 th Human Response to Vibration, UK 2001
- ADAMS/View Use's Guide - Version 12, Mechanical Dynamic Inc., November15, 2004.
- Thompson, A.G Suspension Design for Optimum Road-Holding SAE paper 830663 1983