This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fast Image Processing Applied to Fluid Power Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper focuses on the application of the fast image processing to the internal flow field characterization, and on the set up of the experimental methodology which enables the use of direct visualization techniques to fluid power components. More in details, the design of both a low pressure hydraulic power unit and a number of polymethyl-methacrylate (PMMA) transparent prototypes are firstly outlined.
Afterward, the fast image processing is involved and, to highlight the usefulness of the fast image processing in the analysis of multi-phase multi-component effluxes, solid particle injection and air bubble inoculation are used.
Finally, some of the results obtained using a progressive, mid resolution, high frame rate and monochrome digital camera are shown, and the internal flow evolution is qualitatively analyzed.
CitationBottazzi, D., Franzoni, F., Milani, M., and Montorsi, L., "Fast Image Processing Applied to Fluid Power Components," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2849, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2849.
- Richard H. F. Pao - Fluid Mechanics - John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Publishers
- Blackburn J.F. Reethof G. Shearer J.L. - Fluid Power Control - M.I.T. Technology Press & John Wiley & Sons - 1960
- Merrit H. E. - Hydraulic Control Systems - John Wiley & Sons - 1967
- Idelchick Handbook of Hydraulic Resistance - Springer-Verlag 1983
- Oshima S. Ichikawa T. Cavitation Phenomena and Performance of Oil Hydraulic Poppet Valve (1 st report, Mechanism of Generation of Cavitation and Flow Performance) Bulletin of JSME 28 244 2264 2271 October 1985
- Oshima S. Ichikawa T. Cavitation Phenomena and Performance of Oil Hydraulic Poppet Valve (5 th report, Influence of Dimensions of Valve on the Thrust Force Characteristics) Bulletin of JSME 29 251 1427 1433 May 1986
- Oshima S. Leino T. Linjama M. Koskinen K. T. Vilenius M. J. Effect of Cavitation in Water Hydraulic Poppet Valves International Journal of Fluid Power 2 2001 3 5 13
- Yang R. Simulations of Oil Flow and Flow-Induced Forces Inside Hydraulic Valves - SAE 2002-01-1376 2002
- Plesset M. 1949 “The Dynamics of Cavitation Bubbles,” J. Appl. Mech. 16 277 287
- Delale C. F. Okita K. Matsumoto Y. Steady-State Cavitating Nozzle Flows With Nucleation Journal of Fluids Engineering July 2005 127 770 777
- Rapposelli E. d’Agostino L. A Barotropic Cavitation Model with Thermodynamic Effects Fifth International Symposium on Cavitation Osaka, Japan Nov. 1 4 2003
- Yang R. Predicting Hydraulic Valve Pressure Drop Using CFD SAE 2005-01-3635 2005
- Barman P. Computational fluid dynamic (CFD) analysis to optimize the pump suction line configuration of a hydraulic control system SAE 2005-01-3633 2005
- Saurel R. LeMetayer O. A multiphase model for compressible with interfaces, shock, detonation waves and cavitation J. Fluid Mech. 431 2001 239 271
- Mazel P Saurel RR Loraud JC Butler PB A numerical study of weak shock wave propagation in a reactive bubbly liquid Shock Waves 1996 6 287 300
- Vortmann C. Schnerr G. Seelecke S. Thermodynamic Modeling and Simulation of Cavitating Nozzle Flow International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 24 2003
- Schmidt D.P. Rutland C.J. Corradini M.L. A Fully Compressible Two-Dimensional Model of High Speed Cavitating Nozzles” Atomization and Sprays 9 1999
- Coutier-Delgosha O. Fortes-Patella R. Reboud J. L. Evaluation of the Turbulence Model Influence on the Numerical Simulations of Unsteady Cavitation Journal of Fluids Engineering January 2003 125 38 45
- Yadigaroglu On the Various Forms of the Conservation Equations in two Phase Flow International Journal of Multiphase Flow 2 1976 477 494
- Payri R. Margot X. Salvador F. A Numerical Study of the Influence of Diesel Nozzle Geometry on the Inner Cavitating Flow SAE 2002-01-0215 2002
- Franzoni F. Milani M. Montorsi L. A CFD Multidimensional Approach to Hydraulic Components Design SAE 2007-01-4196 2007
- Franzoni F. Milani M. Montorsi L. Cavitating Flows in Hydraulic Multidimensional CFD Analysis Design SAE 2008-01-2678 2008
- Zarotti G. Fluidi Oleodinamici - Nozioni e lineamenti introduttivi 2 CEMOTER-CNR 1998
- Ramamuthi K. Nandakumar K. Characteristics of flow through small sharp-edged cylindrical orifices - Flow Measurement and Instrumentation 10 1999 133 143
- Ando T. Shakouchi T. Flow characteristics over forward facing step and through abrupt contraction pipe and drag reduction Res. Rep. Fac. Eng. Mie Univ. 29 1 8 2004