This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Spray-Target and Squish Height on Sources of CO and UHC in a HSDI Diesel Engine During PPCI Low-Temperature Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Laser induced fluorescence (LIF) imaging during the expansion stroke, exhaust gas emissions, and cylinder pressure measurements were used to investigate the influence on combustion and CO/UHC emissions of variations in squish height and fuel spray targeting on the piston. The engine was operated in a highly dilute, partially premixed, low-temperature combustion mode.
A small squish height and spray targeting low on the piston gave the lowest exhaust emissions and most rapid heat release. The LIF data show that both the near-nozzle region and the squish volume are important sources of UHC emissions, while CO is dominated by the squish region and is more abundant near the piston top. Emissions from the squish volume originate primarily from overly lean mixture. At the 3 bar load investigated, CO and UHC levels in mixture leaving the bowl and ring-land crevice are low.
With increasing squish height, UHC in the lower squish region increases at a faster rate than UHC leaving the bowl and also grows relative to UHC from higher in the cylinder. CO trends are similar but interactions with spray targeting are more pronounced. When the spray is targeted lower on the piston, UHC and CO levels leaving the bowl generally decrease relative to levels in the lower squish volume, indicating that combustion in the bowl remains clean. Emissions from higher in the cylinder decrease. In general, CO and UHC observed in the upper portion of the squish volume correlates well with exhaust gas emissions.
CitationAronsson, U., Andersson, Ö., Egnell, R., Miles, P. et al., "Influence of Spray-Target and Squish Height on Sources of CO and UHC in a HSDI Diesel Engine During PPCI Low-Temperature Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2810, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2810.
- Andersson, Ö. Diesel Combustion Handbook on combustion 3 Winter F. Wiley-VHC books
- Ekoto, I. Colban, W. F. Miles, P. C. Wook Park, S. Foster, D. E. Reitz, R. D. UHC Emissions Sources from a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Undergoing Dilution Controlled Low Temperature Combustion Presented at SAE World Congress, 2009-01-1446 2009
- Kim, D. Ekoto, I. Colban, W. F. Miles, P. C. In-Cylinder CO and UHC Imaging in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine During PPCI Low-Temperature Combustion Presented at SAE Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Congress, 2008-01-1602 2008
- Kashdan, J. T. Mendez, S. Bruneaux, G. On the origin of Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in a Wall Guided, Low NOx Diesel Combustion System SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, SAE 2007-01-1836 2007
- Ford, H. S. Merrion, D. F. Hames, R. J. Reducing Hydrocarbons and Odor in Diesel Exhaust by Fuel Injector Design SAE paper 700734 1970
- Yu, R. C. Kuo, T. -W. Shahed, S. M. Chang, T. W. The Effect of Mixing Rate, End of Injection, and Sac Volume on Hydrocarbon Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine SAE paper 831294 , SAE Transactions 92 1983
- Kashdan, J. T. Tracer LIF Visualization Studies of Piston-Top Fuel Films in a Wall-Guided, Low-NOx Diesel Engine presented at SAE Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, 2008-01-2474 2008
- Tsurushima, T. Zhang, L. Ishii, Y A Study of Unburnt Hydrocarbon Emission in Small DI Diesel Engines presented at SAE World Congress, SAE 1999-01-0512 1999
- Yu, R. C. Wong, V. W. Shahed, S. M. Sources of Hydrocarbon Emissions from Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE paper 800048 , SAE Transactions 89 1980
- Koci, C. P. Ra, y. Krieger, P. Adrie, M. Foster, D. E. Detailed Unburned Hydrocarbon Investigations in a Highly-Dilute Diesel Low Temperature Combustion Regime presented at SAE World Congress, 2009-01-0928 2009
- Cook, D. J. Pitsch, H. Nentwig, G. Numerical Investigation of Unburnt Hydrocarbon Emissions in a Homogeneous-Charge Late-Injection Diesel-Fueled Engine Presented at SAE Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, 2008-01-1666 2008
- Naber, J. D. Siebers, D. L. Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays presented at SAE World Congress, 960034 1996
- Opat, R. Ra, Y. Gonzales D. M. A. Krieger, R. Reitz, R. D. Foster, D. E. Durett, R. P. Siewert, R. M. Investigation of Mixing and Temperature Effects on HC/CO Emissions for Highly Dilute Low Temperature Combustion in a Light Duty Diesel Engine presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-0193 2007
- Box, G. E. P. Hunter, J. S. Hunter, W. G. Statistics for Experimenters: Design, Innovation, and Discovery Second Edition Wiley-Interscience 978-0471718130 New York, US 2005
- Osborn, D. L. Frank, J. L. Laser-induced fragmentation fluorescence detection of the vinyl radical and acetylene Chemical Physics Letters 349 43 50 2001
- Aldén, M. Wallin, S. Wendt, W. Applications of Two-Photon Absorption for Detection of CO in Combustion Gasses Applied Physics B 33 205 208 1984
- Seitzman, J. M. Haumann, J. Hanson, R. K. Quantitative Two-Photon LIF Imaging of Carmon Monoxide in Combustion Gases Applied Optics 26 2892 2899 1987
- Rehm, J. E. Paul, P. H. Reaction Rate Imaging Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28 1775 1782 2000
- Raiche, G. A. Crosley, D. R. Copeland, R. A. Laser-Induced Fluorescence and Dissociation of Acetylene in Flames Proceedings of the American Institute of Physics 1989
- Petarca, L. Marconi, F. Fluorescence Spectra and Polycylic Aromatic Species in a N -Heptane Diffusion Flame Combustion and Flame 78 308 325 1989
- Colban, W. F. Miles, P. C. Oh, S. Effect of Intake Pressure on Performance and Emissions in an Automotive Diesel Engine Operating in Low-Temperature Combustion Regimes presented at SAE Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference and Exhibition, 2007-01-4063 2007
- Miles, P. C. Choi, D. Pickett, L. M. Singh, I. P. Henein, N. Rempelewert, B. H. Yun, H. Reitz, R. D. Rate-Limiting Processes in Late-Injection, Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regimes Thiesel, Valencia, Spain September 7–10 2004
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Co New York, US 1988
- Musculus, M. P. B. Lachaux, T. Pickett, L. M. Idicheria, C. A. End-of-Injection Over-Mixing and Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in Low-Temperature-Combustion Diesel Engines presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-0907 2007
- Colban, W. F. Ekoto, I. W. Kim, D. Miles, P. C. In-Cylinder Velocity Measurements in an Optical Light-Duty Diesel at LTC Conditions THIESEL 2008 Valencia, Spain September 9–12 2004
- Ekoto, I. W. Colban, W. F. Miles, P. C. Park, S.-W. Foster, D. E. Reitz, R. D. Aronsson, U. Andersson, Ö. UHC and CO Emissions Sources from a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Undergoing Dilution-Controlled Low-Temperature Combustion to be presented at the SAE 9 th International Conference on Engines and Vehicles, 2009-24-0043 2009