This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of NO x Emissions of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine with a NLARX Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work describes the application of Non-Linear Autoregressive Models with Exogenous Inputs (NLARX) in order to predict the NOx emissions of heavy-duty diesel engines. Two experiments are presented: 1.) a Non-Road-Transient-Cycle (NRTC) 2.) a composition of different engine operation modes and different engine calibrations. Data sets are pre-processed by normalization and re-arranged into training and validation sets. The chosen model is taken from the MATLAB Neural Network Toolbox using the algorithms provided. It is teacher forced trained and then validated. Training results show recognizable performance. However, the validation shows the potential of the chosen method.
CitationMaass, B., Stobart, R., and Deng, J., "Prediction of NOx Emissions of a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine with a NLARX Model," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2796, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2796.
- European Parliament and Council of the European Union “Regulation (ec) no 715/2007”; Internet June 2007
- Knecht, W. “Diesel Engine Development in View of Reduced Emission Standards”; Energy” 33 2 264 271 February 2008
- Stéphant, J. Charara, A. Meizel, D. “Virtual Sensors: Applications to vehicle sideslip angle and transversal forces” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 51 2 278 289 2004
- Timoney, D.J. Deantes, J.M Hernández, L. Lyons, C.M. “The development of a semi-empirical model for rapid NO x concentration evaluation using measured in-cylinder pressure in diesel engines” Proceedings of the IMechE 219 Journal for Automobile Engineering 621 631 2005
- Haykin, S. “Neural Networks - A Comprehensive Foundation” Prentice Hall, Inc., 2 edition; 1999
- Hafner, M. Schüler, M. Nelles, O. Isermann, R. “Fast Neural Networks for Diesel Engine Control Design“ Control Engineering Practice 8 1211 1221; 2000
- Ouladsine, M. Bloch, G. Dovifaaz, X. “Neural Modelling and Control of a Diesel Engine With Pollution Constraints” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 41 151 171 2004
- Prokhorov, D. “Virtual Sensors and Their Automotive Applications” ISSNIP 411 416 2005
- Hanzevack, E.L. Long, T.W. Atkinson, C.W. Traver, M.L. “Virtual Sensors for Spark Ignition Engines Using Neural Networks” Proceedings of the American Control Conference 669 673 June 1997
- Atkinson, C.M. Long, T.W. Hanzevack, E.L. “Virtual Sensing: A Neural Network-based Intelligent Performance and Emissions Prediction System for On-Board Diagnostics and Engine Control” International Congress and Exposition February 23 26 1998 980516
- Potenza, R. Dunne, J.F. Vulli, S. Richardson, D. King, P. „Multicylinder Engine Pressure Reconstruction Using NARX Neural Networks and Crank Kinematics” International Journal of Engine Research 8 499 518 2007
- He, Y. Rutland, C.J. “Application of artificial neural networks in engine modelling” International Journal of Engine Research 5 4 281 296 2004
- Dieselnet; “NRTC Data Set” Internet June 2007