This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantification of Yard Hostler Activity and the Development of a Representative Yard Hostler Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Yard hostlers are tractors (switchers) used to move containers at ports and storage facilities. While many speed-time driving cycles for assessing emissions and performance from heavy-duty vehicles exist, a driving cycle representative of yard hostler activity at Port of Long Beach, CA was not available. Activity data were collected from in-use yard hostlers as they performed ship loading/unloading, rail loading/unloading and other yard routines, primarily moving containers on trailers or carts. The activity data were then used to develop four speed-time driving cycles with durations of 1200 seconds, representing light and heavy ship activities and light and heavy load rail activities. These cycles were constructed using actual speed-time data collected during activity logging and the cycles created were statistically comparable to each subset of activity data.
CitationMcKain, D., Clark, N., Atkinson, R., Luzader, Z. et al., "Quantification of Yard Hostler Activity and the Development of a Representative Yard Hostler Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2652, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2652.
- Port of Long Beach, Addendum to 2002 Baseline Emissions Inventory: Ocean-Going Vessels, Harbor Craft, and Expanded Boundary for Rail Locomotives & Heavy-Duty Vehicles, Starcrest Consulting Group, September, 2007
- Wysor, T. France, C “Technical Report: Selection of Transient Cycles for Heavy-Duty Vehicles," U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Commerce, National Technical Information Service PB-294 221 1978
- Clark, N.N. Messer, J.T. McKain, D.L. Wang, W. Bata, R.M. Gautam, M. Lyons, D.W. “Use of the West Virginia University Truck Test Cycle to Evaluate Emissions from Class 8 Trucks," SAE 951016 1995
- Melendez, M. Taylor, J. Zuboy, J. Wayne, W.S. Smith, D. “Emission Testing of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Natural Gas and Diesel Transit Buses", Technical Report NREL/TP-540-36355, December 2005
- Nine, R.D. Clark, N.N. Daley, J.J. Atkinson, CM. “Development of a heavy-duty chassis dynamometer driving route", Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. Part D., Jour, of Automobile Eng 213
- O'Keefe, M. Hendricks, T. Zou, Z. Davis, S. Beaty, K. Weissner, S. Sharma, V.K. “A New Composite Drive Cycle for the Evaluation and Test of Heavy Duty Hybrid Electric Class 4-6 Urban Delivery Vehicles", 2003 International Truck and Bus Meeting and Exhibition, Fort Worth, Texas, November 12 th 2003 (Also presented in SAE Paper 2004-01-1052 )
- Gautam, M. Clark, N.N. Riddle, W. Nine, R. Wayne, W.S. Maldonado, H. Agrawal, A. Carlock, M “Development and Initial Use of a Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Test Schedule for Emissions Characterization" SAE Spring 2002 Fuels & Lubricants Meeting, Reno, NV SAE Paper 2002-01-1753
- Clark, N.N. Gautam, M. Wayne, W.S. Nine, R.D. Thompson, G.J. Lyons, D.W. Maldonado, H. Carlock, M. Agrwal, A. “Creation and Evaluation of a Medium Heavy-Duty Truck Test Cycle" SAE Powertrain Conf., Pittsburgh, Oct. 2003 SAE Paper 2003-01-3284
- Clark, N.N. Gautam, M. Riddle, W. Nine, R.D. Wayne, W.S. “Examination of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Truck Chassis Dynamometer Schedule," SAE Powertrain Conference, Tampa, Fla., Oct 2004 SAE Paper 2004-01-2904
- Lindhjem, C “Intermodal Yard Activity and Emissions Evaluations," 17 th Annual International Emission Inventory Conference, Portland Oregon 2008
- McKain, D. Atkinson, R. Clark, N. Páramo, J.V.H. Hernández, S.Z. Gálvez, C.F. Rivera, E. Perrusquia, R. León, D. “Development of a Driving Schedule to Mimic Transit Bus Behavior in Mexico City," SAE 2006-01-3394