This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of New Checks and Tests needed for Emission Measurement Equipment for 1065 Compliance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine testing in the United States has been updated with the new centralized testing procedure in 40 CFR 1065. This regulation introduces a variety of new checks and tests required for certification testing. Upgrading existing equipment to run these tests in some cases introduces error or does not follow the spirit of the regulation. The term “good engineering practice” is used within the regulation to insure users make decisions on differences or unclear implementation. This paper addresses some of the recommended modifications and evaluates the differences in the results with and without the modifications.
CitationAkard, M., Rooney, R., Porter, S., Hack, R. et al., "Evaluation of New Checks and Tests needed for Emission Measurement Equipment for 1065 Compliance," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2650, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2650.
- Akard, M. Tsurumi, K. Oestergaard K. Inoue, K. Why the Limit of Detection (LOD) Value is Not an Appropriate Specification for Automotive Emissions Analyzers, SAE 2002-01-2711
- Hill J. Nagy, D. Accuracy of Total Hydrocarbon Analyzer Measurements in the SULEV Region, SAE 2003-01-0388
- Garthe, C. Ballik, R. Homreich C. Thiel, W. HC Measurements by Means of Flame Ionization: Background and Limits of Low Emission Measurement, SAE 2003-01-0387
- International Organization for Standardization, International Vocabulary of Basic and General Terms in Metrology 1993
- 40 CFR 1065.602(e)
- 40 CFR 1065.205 Tabel 1
- Akard, M. Nakamura, H. Aoki, S. Kihara N. Adachi, M. Performance Results and Design Considerations for a New In-Use Testing Instrument, SAE 2005-01-3606
- Sherman, M. Mauti, A. Rauker Z. Dageforde, A. Evaluation of Mass Flow Controller Gas Divider For Linearizing Emission Analytical Equipment, SAE 1999-01-0148
- 40 CFR 86.114-94(a)(8)
- 40 CFR 1065.307(d)(6)(ii)
- Sherman, M. Chase, R. Mauti, A. Rauker Z. Silvis, W. Evaluation of Horiba MEXA 7000 Bag Bench Analyzers for Single Range Operation, SAE 1999-01-0147