This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Testing of a Heat Switch for European Mars Rover
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Heat Switch has been developed, namely a device able to autonomously regulate its own thermal conductance in function of the equipment dissipation and environmental heat sink conditions. It is based on a Loop Heat Pipe (LHP) technology, with a passive bypass valve which diverts the flow to the Compensation Chamber when needed for regulation purposes.
The target application is the potential use on a Mars Rover thermal control system.
The paper recalls the Heat Switch design, and reports the results of an extensive test campaign on the ground demonstrator. The performance of the device was found extremely satisfying, and often exceeded the system requirements.
|Aerospace Material Specification||Cobalt Alloy, Corrosion and Heat-Resistant, Round Wire 20Cr - 15Ni - 40Co - 7.0Mo - 16Fe Solution Heat Treated and Cold Drawn|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Carbon Steel, Wire Spring Quality Music Wire 0.70 - 1.00C Cold Drawn|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Titanium Alloy, Round Bar and Wire 3Al - 8V - 6Cr - 4Mo - 4Zr Consumable Electrode Melted Solution Heat Treated and Cold Drawn|
CitationFranzoso, A., Molina, M., Fernandez, F., and Barbagallo, G., "Thermal Testing of a Heat Switch for European Mars Rover," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2573, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2573.
- “A Heat Switch for European Mars Rover”, ICES 2008, SAE paper number 2008-01-2153
- “Exomars Rover Module Thermal Control System”, ICES 2008, SAE paper number 2008-01-2003
- “European Martian Climate Database”, version 4.1 accessible on demand and on the web at http://www-mars.lmd.jussieu.fr
- “Thermal Design Considerations for a Mars Rover”, ICES 2005, SAE paper number 2005-01-28263
- “Precision Temperature Control with a Loop Heat Pipe”, ICES 2005. SAE paper number 2005-01-2938
- “Operating characteristics of Loop Heat Pipes”, ICES 1999, SAE paper number 1999-01-2007