This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance for Posture Prediction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 09, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Collision avoidance in digital human modeling is critical for design and analysis, especially when there is interaction between the avatar and his/her environment. This paper describes a new algorithm for obstacle avoidance with optimization-based posture prediction. This new approach is motivated by a need for decreased computational time and increased fidelity for modeling and analysis of collision avoidance tasks. Posture prediction is run in an iterative loop while conducting collision detection to dynamically update collision avoidance constraints. It is shown that this approach is substantially faster than the basic method involving a fixed number of sphere-based avoidance constraints with a single optimization/posture-prediction run. The method is demonstrated using an upper-body virtual human model in a cab setting.
|Technical Paper||An Experimental Investigation of a CW/CA System for Automobiles|
|Technical Paper||Model-Based Design of a SUV Anti-rollover Control System|
|Technical Paper||Compact High-resolution Millimeter-wave Radar for Front-obstacle Detection|
CitationJohnson, R., Smith, B., Penmatsa, R., Marler, T. et al., "Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance for Posture Prediction," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2305, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2305.
- BradshawG., O'SullivanC. (2004), “Adaptive Medial-Axis Approximation for Sphere-Tree Construction,” ACM Transactions on Graphics, January, ACM, New York, NY.
- DenavitJ., and HartenbergR. S. (1955), “A Kinematic Notation for Lower-Pair Mechanisms Based on Matrices,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 22, 215-221.
- FarrellK., MarlerR. T., and Abdel-MalekK. (2005), “Modeling Dual-Arm Coordination for Posture: An Optimization-Based Approach,” SAE Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conference, June, Iowa City, IA, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- GillP., MurrayW., and SaundersA, 2002, “SNOPT: An SQP Algorithm for Large-Scale Constrained Optimization,” SIAM Journal of Optimization, 12(4), 979-1006.
- HubbardP. (1996), “Approximating Polyhedra with Spheres for Time-Critical Collision Detectioin,” ACM Transactions on Graphics, July, ACM, New York, NY.
- HubbardP. (1996), “Improving Accuracy in a Robust Algorithm for Three-Dimensional Voronoi Diagrams,” Journal of Graphics Tools, A. K. Peters, Natick, MA.
- JungE. S., ChoeJ., and KimS. H. (1994), “Psychophysical Cost Function of Joint Movement for Arm Reach Posture Prediction,” Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 38th Annual Meeting, October, Nashville, TN, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Santa Monica, CA, 636-640.
- MarlerR. T. (2005), “A Study of Multi-Objective Optimization Methods for Engineering Applications,” Dissertation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.
- MarlerR. T., AroraJ. S., YangJ., KimH. -J., and Abdel-MalekK. (in press), “Use of Multi-objective Optimization for Digital Human Posture Prediction,” Engineering Optimization.
- MarlerT., YangJ., RahmatallaS., Abdel-MalekK., and HarrisonC. (2007), “Validation Methodology Development for Predicted Posture,” SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Electronic and Electrical Systems, SAE paper number 2007-01-2467.
- MiZ. (2004), “Task-Based Prediction of Upper Body Motion,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- MiZ., YangJ., Abdel-MalekK., MunJ. H., and NebelK. (2002), “Real-Time Inverse Kinematics for Humans,” Proceedings of the 2002 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computer and Information in Engineering Conference, 5A, September, Montreal, Canada, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, 349-359.
- SmithB. L., MarlerT., MeuschJ., SmithR., RahmatallaS., Abdel-MalekK. (2009), “Studying Alternative Neutral Positions for Optimization-based Posture Prediction,” 13th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, July, San Diego, CA, Springer, New York.
- YangJ., MarlerT., BeckS., Abdel-MalekK., and KimH. -J. (2006) “Real-Time Optimal-Reach Posture Prediction in a New Interactive Virtual Environment”, Journal of Computer Sciience and Technology, 21 (2), 189-198.
- YangJ., MarlerR. T., KimH., AroraJ. S., and Abdel-MalekK. (2004), “Multi-objective Optimization for Upper Body Posture Prediction,” 10th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, August, Albany, NY, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, DC.
- YangJ., RahmatallaS., MarlerT., Abdel-MalekK., and HarrisonC. (2007), “Validation of Predicted Posture for the Virtual Human Santos,” 12th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, July, Beijing, China, Springer, London, England.
- YuW. (2001), Optimal Placement of Serial Manipulators, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.