This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Human FE Model with 3-D Geometry of Muscles and Lateral Impact Analysis for the Arm with Muscle Activity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 09, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To investigate the effect of muscle activity in pre-impact on injury outcome, we developed a human arm finite element model with muscles which consisted of solid elements and truss elements that could be used for simulating muscle stiffness change for the inputted activity and 3-D geometry of each muscle. Two series of experimental tests on muscle stiffness change and arm flexion were conducted for validation of the model. Comparisons between the simulation results and test data indicated the model validity. Lateral impact simulations for a left arm demonstrated that the muscle activity in pre-impact had significant effects on the motion and stress distribution of the arm bones.
|Technical Paper||The Impact of Vehicle Front End Design on AC Performance|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Prediction of a Whole Car Vibro-Acoustic Behavior at Low Frequencies|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Mechanical Systems Physics-of-Failure Analysis Experimental Validation|
CitationIwamoto, M., Nakahira, Y., Kimpara, H., and Sugiyama, T., "Development of a Human FE Model with 3-D Geometry of Muscles and Lateral Impact Analysis for the Arm with Muscle Activity," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2266, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2266.
- Agur, A.M.R., Dalley A.F. II, (2005), Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, 11th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Begeman, P., King, A.I., Levine, R., Viano, D.C., (1980), Biodynamic Response ofthe Musculoskeletal System to Impact Acceleratio. Proc. of the 24 Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 801312, pp. 479-509.
- Behr, M., Arnoux, P-J., Serre, T., Thollon, L., Brunet, C., (2006), Tonic Finite Element Model of the Lower Limb, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 128, pp.223-228.
- Carlson, G.D., Botte, K.J., Josephs, M.S., Newton, P.O., Davis, J.L.W., Woo, S.L-Y.,(1993), Morphologic and biomechanical comparison of tendons used as free grafts, Journal of hand surgery, Vol.18A, No.1, pp. 76-82.
- Chang, C-Y., Rupp, J., Kikuchi, N., Schneider, L., Development of a Finite Element Model to Study the Effects of Muscle Forces on Knee-Thigh-Hip Injuries in Frontal Crashes, (2008), Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 52, pp.475-504.
- Choi, H.Y., Sah, S.J., Lee, B., Cho, H.S., Kang, S.J., Mun, M.S., Lee, I., and Lee, J., (2005), Experimental and numerical studies of muscular activations of bracing occupant. Paper No. 05-0139-O, Proc. of 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), Washington DC.
- Du Bois, P.A. (2003), A simplified approach to the simulation of rubber-like materials under dynamic loading, Proc. 4th European LS-DYNA Users Conference, D-1, pp. 31-45.
- Funk J.R., Crandall J.R., Tourret L.J., MacMahon C.B., Bass C.R., Khaewpong N.K., Rppinger R.H., (2001), The effect of active muscle tension on the axial injury tolerance of the human foot/ankle complex. Proc. 21st ESV Conference, Paper No. 237, pp. 1-14.
- Gans, C. (1982), Fiber architecture and muscle function. Exercise and Sports Sciences Reviws. 10, pp. 106-107.
- Hayashi, S., Yasuki, T., Kitagawa, Y.(2008), Occupant Kinematics and Estimated Effectiveness of Side Airbags in Pole Side Impacts Using a Human FE Model with Internal Organs., Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 52, pp.363-377.
- Hedenstierna, S., Halldin, P., Brolin, K., (2008), Evaluation of a combination of continuum and truss finite elements in a model of passive and active muscle tissue, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 11, No.6, Dec., pp.627-639.
- Hedenstierna, S., Halldin, P., Brolin, K.,(2007), Development and Evaluation of a Continuum Neck Muscle Model, 6th European LS-DYNA User's Conference, Session 2, pp. 80-99.
- Herzog, W., (1999), Biomechanics of the Musculo-skeletal System, Second Edition, Edited by Nigg, B., Herzog, W., pp.148-188.
- Iwamoto, M., Kisanuki Y., Watanabe I., Furusu K., Miki K., Hasegawa J., (2002), Development of a Finite Element Model of the Total Human Model for Safety (THUMS) and Application to Injury Reconstruction. Proc., International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact, Munich, Germany, pp. 31-42.
- Kemper, A., McNally, C., Kennedy, E., Manoogian, S., Duma, S. (2008), The Influence of Arm Position on Thoracic Response in Side Impacts, Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 52, pp.379-420.
- Kitagawa, Y., Yasuki, T., Hasegawa, J., (2008), Research Study on Neck Injury Lessening with Active Head Restraint Using Human Body FE Model, IRCOBI Conference, pp. 381-396.
- Levine R.S., Patrick L.M., Begeman P.C., King A.I., (1978), Effect of quadriceps function on submarining. Proc. of the 22th Conference of Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), pp. 319-329.
- Neumann, D.A. (2002), Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System, Foundations for Physical Rehabilitation, Mosby.
- Pioletti, D.P., Rakotomanana, L.R., Benvenuti, J.-F., Leyvraz, P.-F., (1998), Viscoelastic constitutive law in large deformations: application to human knee ligaments and tendon”, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.31, pp. 753-757.
- Robbins, D.H., (1983), Anthropometry of Motor Vehicle Occupants, UMTRI-83-53-2.
- Tamura, A., Nakahira, Y., Iwamoto, M., Watanabe, I., Miki, K., Hayashi, S., Kitagawa, Y., Yasuki, Y., (2008), Analysis of traumatic brain injury due to primary head contact during vehicle-to-pedestrian impact, Int. J. Crashworthiness, Vol. 13, 4, pp. 375-385.
- Tennyson S.A., King A.I., (1976), A Biodynamic Model of the Human Spinal Column. SAE Paper No. 760771.
- Thelen, D. G. (2003), Adjustment of Muscle Mechanics Model Parameters to Simulate Dynamic Contractions in Older Adults, Transaction of the ASME, Vol.125.
- Winters, J.M. (1990) ‘Hill-Based Muscle Models: A System Engineering Perspective’, in Multiple Muscle Systems: Biomechanics and Movement Organization, Winters, J.M. and Woo. S. (eds.),New York, Springer, pp. 69-93 and 726-749.
- Yamada, H., (1970), Strength of Biological Materials, Williams & Wilkins Company.