This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling Interior Noise in Off-Highway Trucks using Statistical Energy Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this project was to model and study the interior noise in an Off-Highway Truck cab using Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA). The analysis was performed using two different modeling techniques. In the first method, the structural members of the cab were modeled along with the panels and the interior cavity. In the second method, the structural members were not modeled and only the acoustic cavity and panels were modeled. Comparison was done between the model with structural members and without structural members to evaluate the necessity of modeling the structure. Correlation between model prediction of interior sound pressure and test data was performed for eight different load conditions. Power contribution analysis was performed to find dominant paths and 1/3rd octave band frequencies.
CitationGujarathi, R., Copley, D., Romick, R., and Rao, M., "Modeling Interior Noise in Off-Highway Trucks using Statistical Energy Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2239, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2239.
- Miller V. R. Faulkner L. L. 1983 Prediction of aircraft interior noise using statistical energy analysis method Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress and Reliability in Design 105 512 518
- DeJong R. G. 1985 A study of vehicle interior noise using statistical energy analysis SAE Paper 850960
- Manning J. E. 2003 SEA models to predict structureborne noise in vehicles SAE Paper 2003-01-1542
- Parrett A. V. Hicks J. K. Burton E., T. Hermans L. 1970 Statistical energy analysis of airborne and structure-borne automobile interior noise SAE Paper 971970
- Wang D. Goetchius G. M. Onsay T. 1999 Validation of a SEA model for a minivan: Use of ideal air and structure-borne sources SEA Paper 1999-01-1697
- Dong B. Green M. Voutyras M. Bremner P. Kasper P. 1995 Road noise modeling using statistical energy analysis method SAE Paper 951327
- Charpentier A. Birkett C. Sanchez M. Dias V. 2007 Modeling airborne noise transmission in a truck using statistical energy analysis SAE Paper 2007-01-2432
- Poradek F. Rao M. D. Kang J. Jeon B. Lee H. 2007 Analytical simulation of the effects of noise control treatments on an excavator cab using statistical energy analysis SAE Paper 2007-01-2315
- Norton M. P. 1989 Fundamentals of noise and vibration analysis for engineers Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Delany M. E. Bazely E. N. 1970 Acoustical properties of fibrous absorbent materials Applied Acoustics 3 105 116
- Wu Q. 1988 Empirical relations between acoustical properties and flow resistivity of porous plastic open-cell foam Applied Acoustics 25 141 148
- Kirby R. 1999 Prediction of the bulk acoustic properties of fibrous materials at low frequencies Applied Acoustics 56 101 125
- Mechel F. 1988 Design charts for sound absorber layers Journal of Acoustical Society of America 83 3 1002 1013
- VA One User's Guide 2007 ESI Group
- Smith P. W. 1962 Response and radiation of structural modes excited by sound The Journal of Acoustical Society of America 34