This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Statistical Regression-Based Energy Method for Estimating Vehicle Interior Noise in Early Vehicle Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A capability is developed to rapidly estimate in the early vehicle design stage the effect of different vehicle architecture types and specifications on the vehicle interior road and engine noise performance. Regression analyses from the database of vehicle on-road, wind tunnel, and chassis dynamometer tests are used to identify the sound energy transferred by various vehicle subsystem architectures. Energy excitation from tire-road interaction, aerodynamic loads, and powertrain loads are used to predict the interior noise (dBA) and Articulation Index (AI) responses. Comparisons of the estimated versus measured dBA and AI responses show reasonable agreement of the vehicle interior noise.
CitationSung, S. and Nefske, D., "A Statistical Regression-Based Energy Method for Estimating Vehicle Interior Noise in Early Vehicle Design," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2201, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2201.
- Genuit K. “The Sound Quality of Vehicle Interior Noise: A Challenge for NVH Engineers,” Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration, Vol 1 2004 158 168
- Sung S. H. Nefske D. J. ““A Regression-Based Energy Method for Estimating Vehicle Interior Noise in Road Tests,” ASME Paper IMECE2005-79820, Proceedings of IMECE 2005
- Sung S. H. Nefske D. J. ““A Regression-Based Energy Method for Estimating Engine Noise in the Automobile Passenger Compartment,” ASME Paper IMECE2006-14863” Proceedings of IMECE 2006
- Beranek L. L. Noise and Vibration Control, rev. ed., Institute of Noise Control Engineers Poughkeepsie, NY 1988
- Lyon R. H. Statistical Energy Analysis of Dynamic Systems : theory and Applications, The MIT Press Cambridge, Massachusetts and London, England 1975
- Kryter K. D. The Effects of Noise on Man, Academic Press, New York 1970
- McPherson G. Statistics in Scientific lnvestigation: lts Basis, Application, and lnterpretation Springer-Verlag, New York 1990