This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of an Electromagnetic Damper for a Road Vehicle Suspension System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the use of an electromagnetic damper has been demonstrated for control of vibration of a typical road vehicle suspension system. A quarter car model of a conventional passive suspension system has been modified by including an electromagnetic damper. The theoretical frequency response characteristics of this model have been determined and have been correlated with those obtained by the experimental analysis. For this purpose, a laboratory type 2DOF quarter car model with an electromagnetic damper has been fabricated. The electromagnetic damper used in the experimental analysis has been developed by using a combination of an electromagnet and the permanent magnet keeping an air gap between them. Experimental frequency response characteristics have been obtained using an experimental test set up developed for the same
CitationMache, A., Kulkarni, A., and Joshi, S., "Use of an Electromagnetic Damper for a Road Vehicle Suspension System," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2144, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2144.
- Ruzika et.al., “New Method for Vibration Isolation”, Machine Design, 114,October 16, 1958.
- KimY.B. et.al., “Active Vibration Control of a Suspension System using an Electromagnetic Damper”, Proc.Instn.Mech.Engrs, Vol.215,Part D, 865,2001.
- Okada Yohji et.al., “Active and Regenerative Control of an Electrodynamic type Suspension”, JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol.40, No.2, 161,1993.
- Lee An-Chen et.al., “Performance Limits of Permanent Magnet Biased Bearing”. JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol.37, No.4, 1994.
- Hammond P., “Engineering Electromagnetism. Physical Process and Computation”, Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Slemon Gorden R., “Electrical Machines and Drives”, SLE. Permanent Magnet Design.