This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Shape for Visco-Elastic Vibration Isolation Element by Topological and Shape Optimization Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design of geometric shape for visco-elastic vibration isolation elements is frequently based on experiences, intuitions, or trial and errors. Such practices make it often difficult for drastically different or new concepts to come out. In this paper, both a topological method and a shape optimization method are combined together to find out a most desirable isolator shape efficiently by using two commercial engineering programs, ABAQUS and MATLAB. The procedure is divided into two steps. At first, the topology optimization method is employed to find an initial shape, where material density of each finite element is chosen as either 0 or 1 for physical realization. Based on the initial shape, then, finer tuning is done by the boundary movement method. An illustration of the procedure is presented for a vehicle engine mount and the effectiveness will be discussed.
CitationOh, H. and Kim, K., "Design of Shape for Visco-Elastic Vibration Isolation Element by Topological and Shape Optimization Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2127, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2127.
- Tao J. S. Liu A G. R. 2000 “Design Optimization of Marine Engine-Mount System,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 235 3 477 494
- Ashrafiuon H. 1993 “Design Optimization of aircraft engine-mount systems,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 115 463 467
- Swanson D. A. Wu H. T. Ashrafiuon H. 1993 “Optimization of Aircraft Suspension Systems,” Journal of Aircraft 30 6 979 984
- Lee W. S. 2004 “Topology Optimization of Vibration Isolator Considering Hyperelastic and Viscoelastic Behaviors,” Dept. of Mechanical Engr., Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology Korea
- Lee H. J. 2004 “Effects of Rotational Terms and Experimental Errors on Performance Assessment of Multi-Dimensional Vibration Isolation System by Vibrational Power Flow Approach,” Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology Korea
- Kim J. S. 2003 “A Study on Reduction of Vibration Power Transmission in High Frequency Range by Modifying Rotational Stiffness of Isolators,” Dept. of mechanical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology Korea
- BendsØe M. P. Kikuchi N. 1988 “Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71 197 224
- BendsØe M. P. Sigmund O. 2003 “Topology Optimization: Theory, Methods and Applications,” Springer