This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Attenuation of Vehicle Noise using Different Trunk Insulation Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Attenuation of noise from the rear of a vehicle was evaluated for different trunk insulation systems using a combination of poro-elastic material modeling and a full vehicle SEA model. The model considered the interaction between the trunk and the passenger cabin. The sound absorption coefficients and acoustic impedance for each of the material systems used in the trunk were measured and the poro-elastic Biot properties were calculated to define the acoustic treatments in the SEA model. Several levels of acoustical treatment for the trunk were studied ranging from a trunk with no decorative liner to a trunk with a liner and maximum acoustical treatment. The results show the contribution of the trunk material in reducing cabin noise for different levels of noise originating at the rear of the vehicle. These results demonstrate the value of combining poro-elastic material modeling and SEA models for selecting efficient material systems early in a vehicle design. They also highlight vehicle designs that require acoustically tuned trunk material to prevent compromises in the overall NVH performance.
CitationWyerman, B. and Connelly, T., "Attenuation of Vehicle Noise using Different Trunk Insulation Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2122, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2122.
- Wyerman, Barry et. al. “Automotive Noise and Vibration Control Practices in the new Millennium,” paper 2003-01-1589 , proceedings of the 2003 SAE Noise and Vibration Control Conference SAE International 2003
- Harrison, Matthew Vehicle Refinement. Controlling Noise and Vibration in Vehicles Elsevier Butterworth Hindman Burlington, MA 2004
- Wyerman, Barry “Nose reduction with fiber materials in a mid-size luxury vehicle,” paper NC08 078, proceedings of NOISE-CON 2008 Dearborn, MI
- Veen, Jerry “Material Construction, Manufacturing Processes, and Acoustic performance Characteristics of Fibrous Absorber Materials Used in the Automotive Industry,” paper 2005 - 01 - 2381 , proceedings of the 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, MI
- Standard Test Method for Impedance and Absorption of Acoustical Materials Using a Tube, Two Microphones, and a Digital Frequency Analysis System American Society for Testing and Materials West Conshohocken, PA
- Wyerman, Barry Jay, Gabriella Cerrato “Tire Noise Reduction with Fiber Exterior Wheel Arch Liners,” paper 2007-01-2247 , proceedings of the 2007 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference St Charles, IL
- Wyerman, Barry Reed, David “The Role of a Fiber Decoupler on the Acoustical performance of Automotive Floor Systems,” paper 2007-01-2185 , proceedings of the 2007 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference St Charles, IL