This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Three-Dimensional Ring-Based Structural Tyre Model: Development and Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the development of a structural model for passenger car tyres, based on a three-dimensional flexible ring on an elastic foundation. The ring represents the belt and the elastic foundation represents the tyre sidewall. The tyre model, which is implemented as a finite element model, is valid below the first treadband axial bending mode and includes a definition of the wheel flexibility and air cavity. The eigenfrequencies predicted by the model are within 5% of the measured eigenfrequencies. The model is validated by comparing predicted with measured responses for both an unloaded and loaded tyre.
CitationKindt, P., De Coninck, F., Sas, P., and Desmet, W., "A Three-Dimensional Ring-Based Structural Tyre Model: Development and Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2105, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2105.
- De Coninck F. Multi-axial road reproductions for non-linear road noise models Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Belgium 2007
- Soedel W. Vibrations of shells and plates Marcel Decker New York Third Edition 2004
- Kindt P. Sas P. Desmet W. Three-dimensional Ring Model for the Prediction of the Tyre Structural Dynamic Behaviour Proceedings of ISMA 2008 conference Leuven, Belgium 2008 4155 4170
- Ni E.J. Snyder D.S. Walton D.S. et al. Radiated Noise from Tire/wheel Vibration Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA 25 1 1997 29 42
- Lakes R.S. Viscoelastic Solids CRC Press LLC London 1999
- Pinnington R.J. Briscoe A.R. A wave model for a pneumatic tyre belt Journal of Sound and Vibration 253 5 2002 941 59
- Kim Y.J. Bolton J.S. Effects of rotation on the dynamics of a circular shell with application to tire vibration Journal of Sound and Vibration 275 2004 605 621
- Muggleton J.M. Mace B.R. Brennan M.J. Vibrational response prediction of a pneumatic tyre using an orthotropic two-plate wave model Journal of Sound and Vibration 264 2003 929 950
- Molisani L.R. Burdisso R.A. Tsihlas D. A coupled tire structure/acoustic cavity model International Journal of Solids and Structures 40 2003 5125 5138
- Rustighi E. Elliott S.J. Finneveden S. et al Linear stochastic evaluation of tyre vibration due to tyre/road excitation Journal of Sound and Vibration 264 2008 1112 1127
- Pinnington R.J. Radial force transmission to the hub from an unloaded stationary tyre. A wave model for a pneumatic tyre belt Journal of Sound and Vibration 253 5 2002 961 983
- Brinkmeier M. Nackenhorst U. Petersen S. Von Estorff O. A finite element approach for the simulation of tire rolling noise Journal of Sound and Vibration 309 2008 20 39
- Pottinger M.G. The Tree-Dimensional Contact Patch Stress Field of Solid and Pneumatic Tires Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA 20 1 1992 3 32
- Kindt P. De Coninck F. Sas P. Desmet W. Analysis of Tire/Road Noise Caused by Road Impact Excitations SAE 2007 2007 2007-01-2248
- De Coninck F. Sas P. Desmet W. Determining the Important Degrees of Freedom in Road Reproductions SAE 2007 Noise and Vibration Conference 2007 2007-01-2250
- Wheeler R.L. Dorfi H.R. Keum B.B. Vibration Modes of Radial Tires: Measurement, Prediction, and Categorization Under Different Boundary and Operating Conditions SAE Noise and Vibration Conference 2005 2005 2005-01-2523