This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Complex Mode Analysis on Disc Brake Squeal and Design Improvement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Squeal noise in vehicle disc brakes is perceived by comsumers as both annoying and warranty cost. The mechanism is considered a mode coupling phenomenon also referred to as coalescence. In this paper, the system eigenvalues have been computed using a technique based on the • nite element method in order to obtain the dynamical properties of the disc brake assembly. The simulated squeal results were compared with the brake noise test that was in accordance with SAE J2521 standard and showed good correlation for some squeal frequencies which indicated that the research on disc brake squeal using complex mode could predict squeal propensity of the disc brake. Among the methods that have been used to control squeal noise, increasing the system damping has been shown to be very effective. The most commonly used method to increase system damping consists of attaching multi-layer laminates on the back of the brake pads. The comparison squeal test between disc brake with damping shim and one without shim shows that with the damping layer, both the noise occurrence and sound pressure level are much lower in the frequency range between 1000∼18000Hz.
CitationJun, H., Xue-xun, G., and Gang-feng, T., "Complex Mode Analysis on Disc Brake Squeal and Design Improvement," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2101, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2101.
- Dengfeng Wang and Yuwei Wang. “Finite Element Analysis and Testing on Disc Brake Squeal” [J]. Automobile Engineering, 2007, C8:23-24.
- Zhenhua Sun and Qinghua Zeng. “A Study on Disc Brake Squeal” [J]. Automobile Engineering, 1999, C(6) :35-37.
- Xuewen Huang and Jinhuan Zhang. “Progress and Development Trend of Research on Friction-induced Brake Squeal of Vehicles” [J]. Automobile Engineering, 2007, C(5) :17-18.
- Di-hua GUAN and Xin-dong SU. “AN OVERVIEW ON BRAKE VIBRATIONS AND NOISE” [J]. Engineering Mechanics, 2004, C(4) :30-31.
- Fang Zhang and Dihua Guan. “A Study on the Damping Method to Suppress the Disc Brake Squeal” [J]. Automobile Engineering, 2003, C(3) :12-14.
- Yang S, Gibson R F. “Brake vibration and noise: reviews, comments, and proposals” [J]. Materials and Product Technology, 1997, 12 (4/6): 496-513.
- Ibrahmi R A. “Friction-induced vibration, chatter, squeal and chaos, Part 2: dynamics and modeling” [J]. Applied Mechanics Review. 1994, 47: 227-253.
- Kinkaid N M, O'Reilly O M, Papadopoulos P. “Review: Automotive disc brake squeal” [J]. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2003, 267: 105-166.
- Filip Bergman, Mikae Eriksson,Staffan l Jacobson. “Influence of disc topography on generation of brake squeal” [J]. Wear, 1999, 225/229: 621-628.
- Fosberry R A C, Holubecki Z. “Third report on squeal of drum brakes” [R]. MIRA Report No. 1957/3.
- Millner N. “A theory ofdrum brake squeal”[R]. Institute of Mechanical Engineering, 1976, C39: 177- 185.
- Nishiwaki M, Okamura H, Harada H, eta.l “Study on disc brake squeal”[R]. SAE Paper, No·890864, 1989.
- Hulten J. “Some drum brake squealmechanism”[R]. SAE Paper, No·951280, 1995.
- Hoffman C T. “Damper design and development for use on disc brake shoe and lining assemblies”[R]. SAE Paper, No·880254, 1988.
- Lewis TM, Shah P. “Analysis and control of brake noise”[R]. SAE Paper, No. 872240, 1987.
- Singh Rajendra, SheikhAyazA, MitchellMichaelJ “Visco-elastic damping to controldisc brake squeal” [J]. Sound and Vibration, 1998, 32 (10): 18-22.
- FlintJ. “Instabilities in brake system” [R]. SAE Paper, No. 920432, 1992.
- NossierTA, SaidMAR, ElNahasN S, etal. “Significance of squeal in disc brake design” [J]. Int J of Vehicle Design, 1998, 19 (1): 124-133.
- Fritz, G; Sinou, J J et.al. “Effects of Damping on Brake Squeal Coalescence Patterns - Application on a Finite Element model” [J]. Mechanics Research Communications. 2007, 34 (2): 181-190
- Sinou, JJ; Jezequel, L. “Mode Coupling Instability in Friction-induced Vibrations and Its Dependency on System Parameters Including Damping”[J]. European Journal Of Mechanics A-Solids, 2007, 26 (1) :106-122