This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Noise Prediction in a Small Diesel Engine Finalized to the Optimization of the Fuel Injection Strategy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper illustrates both numerical and experimental methodologies aiming to characterize performances and overall noise radiated from a light duty diesel engine. The main objective was the development of accurate models to be included within an optimization procedure, able to define an optimal injection strategy for a common rail engine. The injection strategy was selected to contemporary reduce the fuel consumption and the combustion noise.
To this aim, an experimental investigation was firstly carried out measuring engine performances and noise emissions at different operating conditions. Contemporary, a one-dimensional (1D) simulation of the engine under investigation was performed, finalized to predict the in-cylinder pressure cycles and the overall engine performances. The 1D model was validated with reference to the measured data.
In order to assess the combustion noise, an innovative study, mainly based on the decomposition of the in-cylinder pressure signal, was utilized. The obtained results were compared with the experimental sound pressure level, measured at 1 meter from the engine.
The above procedure was finally coupled to the 1D model of the whole engine, and was linked to an external optimizer (ModeFRONTIER®). The parameters of a pilot-plus-main injection strategy (start of injection, dwell-time and main injection duration) were then continuously varied by the optimizer to the aim of contemporary minimize the fuel consumption and the noise emission. The results clearly highlighted a trade-off between the two objectives and the need to select a compromise solution between them.
CitationSiano, D. and Bozza, F., "Combustion Noise Prediction in a Small Diesel Engine Finalized to the Optimization of the Fuel Injection Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2077, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2077.
- Stotz M. Schommers J. Duvinage F. Petrs A. Ellwanger S. Koynagi K. Gildein H. “Potential of Common-Rail Injection System for Passenger Car Di Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-0944 2000
- Zavala P.A.G. Pinto M.G Pavanello R. Vaqueiro J. “Comprehensive Combustion Noise Optimization” Sae Paper 2001-01-1509 2001
- Mallamo F. Badami M. Millo F. “Effect of Compression Ratio and Injection Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Small Displacement Common Rail Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-0379 2005
- Allocca L. Alfuso S. Montanaro A. Valentino G. Lolli M. “Innovative lift direct command to inner hydraulic circuit injector comparison for diesel engines” ICEF2006-1518: 2006 Fall Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division November 5-8 2006 Sacramento, USA
- Alfuso S. Allocca L. Caputo G. Corcione F.E. Montanaro A. Valentino G. Lolli M. Spray Analysis of an Innovative Direct Command Solenoid Injector for Common Rail Light Duty Diesel Engines ICLASS-2006 Aug. 27 Sept. 1 2006 Kyoto, Japan
- Papalambros, P.V. Wilde, D.J. “Principles of Optimal Design Modeling and Computation” Cambribde University Press Cambridge 2000
- Assanis D.N. Polishak M. “Valve event optimization in a spark-ignition engine” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 112 3 1990
- Stephenson P.W. “Multi-Objective Optimization of a Charge Air Cooler using modeFRONTIER and Computational Fluid Dynamics” SAE Paper 2008-01-0886 2008
- Beatrice C. Belardini P. Bertoli C. Lisbona M. G. Sebastiano G. M. Rossi Combustion process management in common-rail DI diesel engines by multiple injection SAE Paper 2001-24-0007
- Siano D. Corcione F. E. Bozza F. Gimelli A. Manelli S. “Characterization of the Noise Emitted by a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine: Experimental Activities and 1D Simulation” SAE Noise and Vibration 2005, Traverse City - 05NVC-133
- Siano D. Bozza F. Costa M. “Optimal Design of a Two-Stroke Diesel Engine for Aeronautical Applications Concerning both Thermofluidynamic and Acoustic Issues” IMECE2008-68713, ASME IMECE Congress November 2008 Boston
- Bozza F. Costa M. Siano D. “Design Issues Concerning Thermofluidynamic and Acoustic Aspects in a Diesel Engine Suitable for Aeronautical Applications” International Journal of Vehicle Design 2009
- Zienkiewicz, O. C. Taylor, R. L. 2000 “The Finite Element Method” Butterworth-Heinemann 0750650494
- Torregrosa A.J. Broatch A. Martin J. Monelletta L. “Combustion noise level assessment in direct injection Diesel engines by means of in-cylinder pressure components” Meas. Sci. Technol. 18 2131 2142 2007
- Payri F Broatch A Tormos B Marant V “New methodology for in-cylinder pressure analysis in direct injection diesel engines-application to combustion noise” Meas. Sci. Technol. 16 2005 540 547 10.1088/0957-0233/16/2/029
- Corcione F. E. Siano D. Vaglieco B. M. Corcione G. E. Lavorgna M. Viscardi M. Iadevaia M. Lecce L. “Analysis and Control of Noise Emissions of a Small Single Cylinder D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2003-01-1459 2003
- GT-Power User's Manual 2005
- Bozza F. Siano D. Valentino G. “Integrated Numerical and Experimental Methodologies for Performance Optimization and Noise Reduction of a Light Duty Diesel Engine” EnginSoft CAE Users' Meeting 2007 Stezzano (BG) October 2007
- “Acoustics-Determination of sound power levels of noise sources using sound intensity-Part 1:Measurement at discrete points” 1993
- Osawa H Nakada T “Pseudo cylinder pressure excitation for analysing the noise characteristics of the engine structure” JSAE Rev. 20 67 72 1999
- Corcione F.E. Siano D. Iadevaia M. Viscardi M. Corcione G.E. “Correlation between the acoustic intensity measurements with and without an electronically fuel injection system for a small single cylinder diesel engine” Euronoise 2003 Naples 334
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. Tabata M. “Empirical Equations for the Sauter Mean Diameter of a Diesel Spray” SAE Paper 890464
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray Angle of Diesel Engines” Trans. Of JSAE 21 5 11 1980
- Hiroyasu H. Kadota T. Arai M. “Development and Use of a Spray Combustion Modeling to Predict Diesel Engine Efficiency and Pollutant Emissions” Bulletin of JSME 26 214 569 575 1983
- Young D. Assanis D.N. “Multi-Zone DI Diesel Spray Combustion Model for Cycle Simulation Studies of Engine Performance and Emissions” SAE paper 2001-01-1246 2001
- Siano D. Valentino G. Corcione F. Bozza F. Arnone L. Manelli S. “Experimental and Numerical Analyses of Performance and Noise Emission of a Common Rail Light Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2007-24-0017 , ICE 2007 Congress Capri Settembre 2007
- Sasaki, D. 2005 “ARMOGA, An efficient Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm” January 2005