This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Surface Modifications on Vehicle Disc Brake Squeal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Squeal from brakes is a problem in the automotive industry and large efforts are made to understand the squeal tendencies. The approach taken is mainly to change the design of the caliper, fine-tune the brake pad material and finally to trim the introducing shims on the backside of the pads. Despite these efforts still no general solutions exist. To advance the situation, a deeper understanding of the actual source of excitation of the sound in the friction interface is needed. However, in the present investigation the surfaces modifications of brake disc and pad have been tested with respect to the understanding properties. The surfaces modifications are slotted pad material and coated disc. All tests have been made in a brake test stand consisting of a complete front wheel corner of a vehicle. The changes have resulted in a significant understand of the generated noise. This is due to the changing of the coefficient of friction between the disc and pads which has a strong influence on the squeal propensity.
CitationAhmed, I., Metwally, S., Mohamed, E., and Abouel-Seoud, S., "Influence of Surface Modifications on Vehicle Disc Brake Squeal," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1977, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1977.
- Abendroth, H and Wernitz, B.“The integrated test concept: Dyno......vehicle, performance …noise” Technical Report 2000-01-2774, SAE. Warrenndale, PA, 2000.
- Ouyang, H. and Mottershead, J.,“A bounded region of disc-brake vibration Instability” Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 123 (4), pp. 543-545, 2001.
- Eriksson, M. and Jacobson, S. “Tribological surfaces of organic brake pads”, Tribology Int., pp. 817-827, 2000.
- Eriksson, M., Bergman, F. and Jacobson, S. “On the nature of tribological contact in automotive brakes”, Wear 252/1-2, pp. 26-36, 2002.
- Eriksson, M. and Jacobson, S.“Friction behavior and squeal generation of disc brakes at low speeds”, Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Part D, J. of Automobile Eng. 215, pp.. 1245-1256, 2001.
- Kinkaid, N., O'Rilly, O. and Papadopoulos, P.“Automotive disc brake squeals” Journal of Sound and Vibration 267, pp. 105-166, 2003.
- Giannini, O. And Massi, F. “Characterization of the high - frequency squeal in the laboratory brake set-up” Journal of Sound and Vibration 310 (1-2), pp. 394-408, 2008.
- Massi, F., Giannini, O and Baillet, L. “Brake squeal as dynamic instability: an experimental investigation” Journal of Acoustic Society of American 120 (3), pp. 1388-1399, 2006.
- Ouyang, H., Nack, W., Yuan, Y. and Chen, F.“Numerical analysis of automotive disc brake squeal: a review”International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibrations 1 (3-4), pp. 207-230, 2005.
- Eriksson, M., Bergman, F. and Jacobson, S.“Wear and contact conditions of brake pads”, Wear 249, pp. 272-278, 2001.
- Eriksson, M., Lor, J. and Jacobson, S. “Surface characterization of brake pads after running under silent and squeal conditions”, Wear 232, pp. 163-167, 1999.
- Ibrahim, R., Madhavan, S., Qiao, S. and Chang, W.,“Experimental investigation of friction induced-noise in disc brake systems” International Journal of Vehicle Design 23(3-4), pp. 218-240, 2000.
- Qiao, S. and Ibrahim, R. “Stochastic dynamics of system with friction-induced vibration” Journal of Sound and Vibration 223 (1), pp. 115-140, 1999.
- Ahmed, I, Saad, A, Watany, M and Abouel-Seoud, S. “Automotive disc brake squeal occurrence: An experimental investigation” To be Published in SAE, 2009.
- Massi, F., Baillet, L. Giannini, O., and Sestieri, A. “Brake squeal phenomenon: linear and non-linear numerical approach” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 21(6), pp. 2374-2393, 2007.