This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Air/Cavitation Interaction Inside a Rotary Vane Pump for Application on Heavy Duty Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with a CFD three-dimensional multiphase simulation of rotary vane pump.
The paper presents a suitable methodology for the investigation of the cavitation effects and/or incondensable gases. All the 3D simulations were performed by using Fluent v12 (Beta version). A moving mesh methodology was defined to reproduce the change-in-time shape of the internal pump volumes. In particular, the pump analysis was focused on the generation, and evolution of the cavitation phenomena inside the machine to identify the locations where this phenomena could occur. Moreover, the influence of incondensable gas dissolved inside the operator fluid on both pump performance and cavitation evolution was evaluated. Significant results were obtained about the analysis of incondensable gas influence on the cavitation evolution showing that, today, CFD analysis can provide detailed information on such harmful phenomena which can not be achieved by experiments.
The approach adopted is generic in nature, and the obtained results can be easily used to optimize other pump designs.
CitationBrusiani, F., Bianchi, G., Costa, M., Squarcini, R. et al., "Analysis of Air/Cavitation Interaction Inside a Rotary Vane Pump for Application on Heavy Duty Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1943, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1943.
- Frenkel, J. “Kinetic Theory of Liquid” Dover New York 1955
- Skripov, V. P. “Metastable Liquids” John Wiley and Sons 1974
- Benner, C. E. “Cavitation and Bubble Dynamics” Oxford University Press 1995
- Acosta, A. J. “Cavitation and Fluid Machinery” Proc. Of Cavitation Conference Heriot-Watt Univ. of Edinburgh Scotland 383 396 1974
- Arndt, R. E. A. “Cavitation in Fluid Machinery and Hydraulic Structures” Ann. Rev. of Fluid Mechanic 13 273 328 1981
- Nguyen-Schafer, H. Sprafke, P. “Numerical Study on Interaction Effects of the Bubbles Induced by Air-Release and Cavitation in Hydraulic System” 10 th Bath International Fluid Power Workshop Bath, UK 1997
- Wang, Y. C Brenner, C. E. “Shock Wave Development in the Collapse of a Cloud of Bubbles” ASME-FED. 194 15 18 1994
- Soyama, H. Ito, Y. Ichioka, T. Oba, R. “Observation of Rapid Cavitation Erosion Arising in a Typical Centrifugal Pump” ASME-FED. 10
- Baur, T. Kongeter, J. Leucker, R “Effects of Dissolved Gas on Cavitation Inception in Free Surface Flows” Third International Symposium on Cavitation Grenoble, France 1998
- Knapp, R. Daily, W. Hammitt, F. “Cavitation” McGraw-Hill 578 1970
- Koivula, T. K. “On Cavitation in Fluid Power” Institute of Hydraulics and Automation (IHA)/Tampere University of Technology Tampere, Finland
- Lamb, W. S. “Cavitation and Aeration in Hydraulic Systems” Bedfordshire BHRGroup 114 2000
- Hansson, C. M. Hansson, I. L. K. “Friction, Lubrication and Wear Technology” ASM Handbook 18 214 220 1992
- Preece, C. M. “Treatise on Materials Science and Technology Academic Press Inc. New York 16 Erosion 249 308 1979
- Grenié, M. “Acoustic Detection of Propeller Cavitation” Université de Provence.
- Flynn, H. G. “Physics of Acoustic Cavitation in Liquid” Physical Acoustic Academic Press 1964
- Ferziger, J. H. Peric, M. “Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics” Springer 2001
- Versteeg, H. K. Malalasekera, W. “An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics” Longman 2007
- Zwart, P. J. Gerber, A. G. Belamri, T. “A Two-Phase Flow Model for Predicting Cavitation Dynamics” Fifth International Conference on Multiphase Flow Yokohama, Japan 2004
- Bakir, F. Rey, R. Gerber, A. G. Belamri, T. Hutchinson, B. “Numerical and Experimental Investigations of the Cavitating Behavior of an Inducer” International Journal of Rotating Machine 10 15 25 2004
- Gerber, A. G. “A CFD Model for Devices Operating Under Extensive Cavitation Condition” IMEC New Orleans, USA 2002
- Shen, Y. Dimotakis, P. “A The Influence of Surface Cavitation on Hydrodynamic Forces” Proc. 22 nd ATTC St. Hohns 44 53 1989
- Ferguson, S. “Validation of CFD Throttle Cavitation” Computational Dynamic Limited UK 2001