This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control System Design for Variable Nozzle Turbocharger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 11, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The electronic control system of the variable nozzle turbocharger (VNT) was designed. The actuator is the electro-hydraulic servo proportional solenoid. The signals of the engine pedal position sensor, the engine speed sensor, the boost pressure sensor, the intake air temperature sensor, and the ambient pressure sensor are sampled and filtered. The engine working condition is estimated. The control algorithm was designed as the closed-loop feedback digital PI control together with the open-loop feed forward control. The gain-scheduled PI control method is applied to improve the robustness. The control system was calibrated at the turbocharger test bench and the engine test bench. The results indicate the designed control system has good performance for the boost pressure control under the steady and transient conditions.
CitationWang, E., Xia, S., Ouyang, M., Li, J. et al., "Control System Design for Variable Nozzle Turbocharger," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1668, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1668.
- Arnold Steve Mark Groskreutz, S.M. Shahed and Kevin Slupski: Advanced Variable Geometry Turbocharger for Diesel Engine Applications SAE Paper 2002-01-0161 2002
- Ogawa H. Hayash M. Yashiro M. Development of the Continuous and Feedback Controlled Variable Nozzle Turbine Turbocharger System for Heavy-Duty Trucks[J] Vehicle Engine 1998
- Shirakawa Takashi Itoyama Hiroyuki Miwa Hiromichi Study of strategy for model-based cooperative control of EGR and VGT in a diesel engine JSAE Review 22 2001 3 8 2001
- RICCARDO BURATTI ALESSANDRO CARLO ENRICO LANFRANCO ALBERTO PISONI Di Diesel Engine with Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT): A Model Based Boost Pressure Control Strategy Meccanica 32 409 421 1997
- Ammann M. Fekete N. P. Guzzella L. Glattfelder A. H. Model-Based Control of the VGT and EGR in a Turbocharged Common-Rail Diesel Engine: Theory and Passenger Car Implementation SAE Paper 2003-01-0357 2003
- He Yongsheng Lin Chan-Chiao Gangopadhyay Anupam Integrated Simulation of the Engine and Control System of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine SAE Paper 2006-01-0439 2006
- Schwarzmann Dieter Nitsche Rainer Lunze Jan Diesel Boost Pressure Control using Flatness-Based Internal Mode Control SAE Paper 2006-01-0855 2006
- van Nieuwstadt M. J. Kolmanovsky I. V. Moraal P. E. Stefanopoulou A. Jankovic M. EGR-VGT Control Schemes: Experimental Comparison for a High-Speed Diesel Engine IEEE Control Systems Magazine June 2000
- Dambrosio L. Pascazio G. De Robertis S. Fortunato B. VGT Turbocharger controlled by means of an Adaptive Control Technique 2001 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics Proceedings: 1087–1092 2001
- Dambrosio L Pascazio G Fortunato B Fuzzy logic controller applied to a variable geometry turbine turbocharger Proc. IMechE Vol. 219 1347 1360 2005
- Bengea Sorin DeCarlo Ray Corless Martin Rizzoni Giorgio A Polytopic System Approach for the Hybrid Control of a Diesel Engine Using VGT/EGR Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 127 13 21 2005
- Mariagrazia DOTOLI Paolo LINO Fuzzy Adaptive Control of a Variable Geometry Turbocharged Diesel Engine Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics: 1295–1300 2002
- Utkin Vadim I. Chang Hao-Chi Kolmanovsky Ilya Cook Jeffrey A. Sliding Mode Control for Variable Geometry Turbocharged Diesel Engines Proceedings of the American Control Conference: 584–588 2000
- Jankovic Mrdjan Jankovic Miroslava Kolmanovsky Ilya Robust nonlinear controller for turbocharged diesel engines Proceedings of American Control Conference: 1389–1394 1998