This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Analyses of Mixture Formation Process Using a Fan-shaped DI Gasoline Spray: Examinations on Effects of Crosswind and Wall Impingement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The analysis of spray characteristics is important to examine the combustion characteristics of DI (Direct Injection) gasoline engines because the fuel-air mixture formation is controlled by spray characteristics and in-cylinder gas motion. However, the mixture formation process has not been well clarified yet. In this study, the characteristics of a fan-shaped spray caused from a slit-type injector, such as the droplet size, its velocity and the droplet distribution were simultaneously measured on a 2D plane by using improved ILIDS (Interferometric Laser Imaging for Droplet Sizing) method. ILIDS method is an optical measurement technique using interference fringes by illuminating a transparent spherical particles with a coherent laser light. In the measurement of the wall-impinging spray, effects of the distance to the wall and the wall temperature on the spray characteristics were investigated. As a result, it was found that the SMD (Sauter Mean Diameter) near the wall surface increased with smaller distance. Meanwhile, in the measurement of spray under a crosswind, the relative velocity of between the droplet and the ambient gas was found influential on the atomization. Additionally, numerical simulation of the spray with a crosswind was examined. The in-nozzle two phase flow was calculated using VOF (Volume of Fluid) model and also the spray formation process was calculated using DDM (Discrete Droplet Model) with mathematical sub-models.
As a result, the effects of boundary conditions at nozzle exit, breakup model and drag force model were evaluated comparing with experimental results.
CitationMoriyoshi, Y., Uchida, R., Takagi, M., and Kubota, M., "Numerical and Experimental Analyses of Mixture Formation Process Using a Fan-shaped DI Gasoline Spray: Examinations on Effects of Crosswind and Wall Impingement," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1502, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1502.
SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology, 2009
Number: SP-2241; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2241; Published: 2009-04-20
- Iwamoto Y. Development of gasoline direct injection engine SAE Paper 9712902
- Koike M. Saito A. Tomoda T. Yamamoto Y. Research and Development of a New Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine SAE Paper 2000-01-0530
- Honda T. Kawamoto M. Katashiba H. Sumida M. Fukutomi N. Kawajiri K. A Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion for Spray-Guided Disi SAE Paper 2004-01-0046
- Skoqsberg M. Dahlander P. Denbratt I.G. Spray Shape and Atomization Quality of an Outward-Opening Piezo Gasoline DI Injector SAE Paper 2007-01-1409
- Kawaguchi, T. Kobayashi, T. Maeda, M. Interferometric Measurement of Size and Velocity Distributions of Spherical Particles in Spray Flow JSME, B 2002 431 438
- Hesselbacher K. H. et al. Experimental investigation of Gaussian beam effects on the accuracy of a droplet sizing method Appl. Opt 30 1991 4930 4935
- Senda, J. et al Modeling spray impingement considering fuel film formation on the wall SAE Paper, No. 970047
- Moriyoshi Y. Takagi M. Hu X. Analysis of Mixture Formation Process with a Swirl-Type Injector SAE Paper, No. 2000-01-2057
- Takagi M. Moriyoshi Y. Modeling of a hollow-cone spray at different ambient pressures J. of Engine Research 2004 39 52
- Moriyoshi Y. Hu X. Takagi M. Experimentally Evaluated Spray Model for a Swirl-Type Injector SAE Paper, No. 2002-01-2696
- Moriyoshi Y. Takagi M. Ryu C.S. Investigation of Breakup Modeling of a Diesel Spray by Making Comparisons with 2D Measurement Data SAE Paper, No. 2007-01-1898
- Reitz R. D. Modeling Atomization Processes in High-Pressure Vaporizing Sprays Atomisation and Spray Technology 3 4 1987 309 337
- O’Rourke P. J. Amsden A. A. The TAB Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup SAE Paper No. 872089
- Virepinte, J. F. et. al. Experimental and numerical investigation on the drag coefficient of non-evaporating and burning monodispersed droplet streams, Eight international conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 1289 1296