This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Soot Oxidation Characterization of Pt/CeO 2 Catalyst with NO and O 2 Using a Flow Reactor System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The oxidation of soot (carbon black) which is assisted by Pt/CeO2 catalyst is studied using a flow reactor system simulating the condition of diesel exhaust. In this study, the temperature programmed oxidation (TPO) scheme is mainly used for different NO and O2 concentrations and soot oxidation rate is evaluated by monitoring both CO and CO2 concentrations.
Pt/CeO2 catalyst lowers the temperature of the peak CO/CO2 concentrations significantly when there is either NO or O2. Oxidation starts at 200°C and the peak CO2 concentration is observed at 360°C, which depends on the amount of catalyst and NO concentration.
The effect of catalyst on NO2 recycling is also investigated. For this purpose, two different types of sample have been prepared. For the mixed case, 10mg of carbon black is mixed with 50mg of Pt/CeO2 catalyst under conditions of loose contact. For the unmixed case, the catalyst layer is placed on top of soot layer without mixing. In the mixed case compared to the unmixed one, the temperature for the peak CO/CO2 concentrations is decreased from 400°C to 370°C and a significant increase of specific reaction rate is observed around 360°C. This result indicates that mixing soot and catalyst enhances NO-NO2 conversion which takes place a couple of times while the NO molecule passes through the sample mixture and supports the fact that the soot oxidation rate depends upon the amount of NO2 produced by NO-NO2 conversion.
CitationSong, C., Jung, J., Song, S., and Chun, K., "Experimental Study on Soot Oxidation Characterization of Pt/CeO2 Catalyst with NO and O2 Using a Flow Reactor System," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1475, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1475.
- Middlebrook Turner Solomon 2004 Special issue of Atmospheric Environment for Particulate Matter: Atmospheric Sciences, Exposure, and the Fourth Colloquium on PM and Human Health Atmospheric Environment 38
- Zelenka Cartellieri Herzog 1996 Worldwide diesel emission standards, current experiences and future needs Applied Catalysis B 10
- Stein 1996 Diesel oxidation catalysts for commercial vehicle engines: strategies on their application for controlling particulate emissions Applied Catalysis B 10
- Ciambelli, Palma Russo, Vaccaro 2003 Performances of a catalytic foam trap for soot abatement Catalysis Today 75
- Jeguirim Tschamber Ehrburger 2007 Catalytic effect of platinum on the kinetics of carbon oxidation by NO 2 and O 2 Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 76
- Farrauto, R. J. Voss, K. E. Heck, R. M. A Base Metal Oxide Catalyst for Reduction of Diesel Particulates presented at SAE World Congress, 932720 1993
- Cooper, B. J. Thoss, J. E. Role of NO in Diesel Particulate Emission Control presented at SAE World Congress, 890404 1989
- Uchisawa Junko Oi Obuchi Akira Zhao Zhen Kushiyama Satoshi 1998 Carbon oxidation with platinum supported catalysts Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 18
- Setiabudi Makkee, Moulijn 2003 An optimal NOx assisted abatement of diesel soot in an advanced catalytic filter design Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 42
- Krishna, Bueno-López Makkee, Moulijn 2007 Potential rare earth modified Ce O2 catalysts for soot oxidation: I. Characterisation and catalytic activity with O 2 Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 75
- Peralta, Milt Cornaglia, Querini 2006 Stability of Ba,K/CeO 2 catalyst during diesel soot combustion: Effect of temperature, water, and sulfur dioxide Journal of Catalysis 242
- Eleonora, Marta Carla, Giuliano Alessandro 2006 Insights into the redox properties of ceria-based oxides and their implications in catalysis Journal of Alloys and Compounds 408 412
- Van Setten, Schouten Makkee, Moulijn 2000 Realistic contact for soot with an oxidation catalyst for laboratory studies Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 28
- Lee, J. H. Lee, H. S. Song, S. H. Chun, M. K. 2007 Experimental Investigation of Soot Oxidation Characteristic with NO 2 and O 2 using a Flow Reactor Simulating DPF presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-1270 2007
- Bokova Decarne Abi-Aad Pryakhin Lunin Aboukais 2005 Kinetics of catalytic carbon black oxidation Thermochimica acta 428 1 2