This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Operating Range of Low Temperature Diesel Combustion with Supercharging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Low temperature diesel combustion with a large amount of exhaust gas recirculation in a direct injection diesel engine was investigated. Tests were carried out under various engine speeds, injection pressures, injection timings, and injection quantities. Exhaust emissions and brake specific fuel consumption were measured at different torque and engine speed conditions. High rates of exhaust gas recirculation led to the simultaneous reduction of nitrogen oxide and soot emissions due to a lower combustion temperature than conventional diesel combustion. However, hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions increased as the combustion temperature decreased because of incomplete combustion and the lack of an oxidation reaction.
To overcome the operating range limits of low temperature diesel combustion, increased intake pressure with a modified turbocharger was employed. As a result of adopting increased intake pressure in low temperature diesel combustion, wider operating range was achieved compared with naturally aspirated condition. This is because relatively complete combustion occurred because of more air utilization under these conditions. Moreover, increased intake pressure resulted in lower hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions due to a higher oxygen rate, which induced higher combustion temperatures. The effect of increased intake pressure on nitrogen oxide emission was found to be negligible. In contrast, soot emission was significantly reduced when intake pressure was increased.
- Sangwook Han - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Euijoon Shim - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Jinyoung Jang - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Jungseo Park - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Choongsik Bae - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Jongnam Park - Ssangyong Motor Company
- Hyunok Kim - Ssangyong Motor Company
CitationHan, S., Shim, E., Jang, J., Park, J. et al., "Operating Range of Low Temperature Diesel Combustion with Supercharging," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1440, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1440.
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and Nox Control, 2009
Number: SP-2243; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2243; Published: 2009-04-20
- Sasaki Miki Kishi Yoshiaki Hyuga Testu Okazaki Kastuo Tanaka Masayuki Kurihara Isao 1997 The Effects of EGR on Diesel Engine Oil, and Its Countermeasures SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 106 4
- Kreso Admir M. Johnson John H. Gratz Linda D. Bagley Susan T. Leddy David G. 1998 A Study of the Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Emissions SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 107 4
- Kamimoto Takeyuki Bae Myurng-hoan 1988 High Combustion Temperature for the Reduction of Particulate in Diesel Engines SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 97 3
- Akihama Kazuhiro Takatori Yoshiki Inagaki Kazuhisa Sasaki Shizuo Dean Anthony M. 2001 Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 110 3
- Weiβback M. Csato J. Glensvig M. Sams T. Herzog P. Alternative Brennverfahren – ein Ansatz fur den Zukunftigen Pkw-Dieselmotor MTZ 2003 64 718 727
- Kimura Shuji Aoki Osamu Kitahara Yasuhisa Aiyoshizawa Eiji 2001 Ulrta-Clean Combustion Technology Combining Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standard SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 110 4
- Kook Sanghoon Bae Choongsik Miles Paul C. Choi Dae Pickett Lyle M. 2005 The Influence of Charge Dilution and Injection Timing on Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion and Emissions SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 114 4
- Hyvönen Jari Haraldsson Göran Johansson Bengt 2003 Supercharging HCCI to Extend the Operating Range in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 112 4
- AVL Model 415S Smoke Meter Product Literature October 15 2002
- Ciajolo A. D'Anna A. Barbella R. Tregrossi A. Violi A. The Effect of Temperature on Soot in Premixed Ethylene Flames The Combustion Institute Twenty-Sixth Symposium (International) on Combustion 1996
- Alriksson M. Denbratt I. Low Temperature Combustion in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Using High Levels of EGR SAE 2006 World Congress & Exhibition 2006-01-0075 2006
- Benajes Jesús Molina Santiago Garcia JoseM. Novella Ricardo 2004 Influence of Boost Pressure and Injection Pressure on Combustion Process and Exhaust Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 113 4
- Tanin K. V. Wickman D. D. Montgomery D. T. Das S. Reitz R. D. 1999 The Influence of Boost Pressure on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Single-Cylinder D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 108 3