This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Inlet Manifold Water Injection on a Common Rail HSDI Automobile Diesel Engine, Compared to EGR with Respect to PM and Nox Emissions and Specific Consumption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an experimental study of a water injection (WI) application where water fog is added in the intake of a common rail High-Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) automobile Diesel engine in order to reduce pollutant emissions Nitrogen Oxides and Particulate Matter (NOx and PM) for future emissions standards. Also studied are the physical parameters of the engine (in-cylinder pressure, air inlet temperature, air mass flow, specific fuel consumption etc). The results are compared with those obtained with low-pressure dry Exhaust Gas Recirculation (LP EGR) on the same engine. Tests performed with the water injection system show that a much better NOx / PM trade-off (reduced NOx emission levels at constant PM emission levels) is obtained than with EGR especially at points of high engine loads. In addition, tests are performed with EGR in parallel with water injection to investigate the reduction of NOx emissions while potentially reducing water consumption. Quantities of water injected are between 3 and 21 kg/h which correspond to water / fuel ratios of up to 400 percent depending on the engine operating point.
CitationShah, S., Maiboom, A., Tauzia, X., and Hétet, J., "Experimental Study of Inlet Manifold Water Injection on a Common Rail HSDI Automobile Diesel Engine, Compared to EGR with Respect to PM and Nox Emissions and Specific Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1439, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1439.
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and Nox Control, 2009
Number: SP-2243 ; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2243 ; Published: 2009-04-20
- Ladommatos N., Abdelhalim S. M., Zhao H., Hu Z., “The dilution, chemical and thermal effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Engine emissions – Part 4: Effects of Carbon Dioxide and Water Vapour”, SAE paper 971660, 1997
- Lif A., Holmberg K., “Water-in-diesel emulsions and related systems”, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science - Elsevier, 123-126 (2006), 231-239, 2006
- Dickey D.W., Ryan T.W. III, Matheaus A.C., “NOx Control in Heavy-Duty diesel engines – What is the limit?”, SAE paper 980174, 1998
- Roberts C.E., Naegeli D., Chadwell C., “The effect of water on soot formation”, SAE paper 2005-01-3850, 2005
- Samec N., Dibble R.W, Chen J.H., Pagon A., “Reduction of NOx and Soot Emission by Water Injection During combustion in a diesel engine”, FISITA Automotive Congress paper F2000A075, 2000
- Nazha M.A.A., Rajukaruna H., Wagstaff S.A., “The use of emulsion, water induction and EGR for controlling diesel engine emissions”, SAE paper 2001-01-1941, 2001
- Lanzafame R., “Water injection effects in a single-cylindre CFR engine”, SAE paper 1999-01-0568, 1999
- Brusca S., Lanzafame R., “Evaluation of the effects of water injection in a single cylinder CFR Cetane engine”, SAE paper 2001-01-2012, 2001
- Tanner F.X., Brunner M., Weisser G., “A computational investigation of water injection strategies for Nitric Oxide reduction in large-bore diesel engines”, SAE paper 2001-01-1069, 2001
- Hountalas D.T., Mavropoulos G.C., Zannis T.C., Mamalis S.D., “Use of water emulsion and intake water injection as NOx reduction techniques for heavy-duty diesel engines”, SAE paper 2006-01-1414, 2006
- Kegl B., Pehan S., “Reduction of diesel engine emissions by water injection”, SAE paper 2001-01-3259, 2001
- Hountalas D.T., Mavropoulos G.C., Zannis T.C., “Comparative evaluation of EGR, Intake Water and Fuel/Water Emulsion as NOx Reduction Techniques for diesel engines”, SAE paper 2007-01-0120, 2007
- Chadwell C.J., “Effect of diesel and water co-injection with real-time control on diesel engine performance and emissions”, SAE paper 2008-01-1190, 2008
- Matheaus A.C., Ryan T.W., Saly D., Langer D.A., Musculus M.P.B., “Effects of PuriNOx™ water-diesel fuel emulsions on emissions and fuel economy in a heavy-duty diesel engine”, SAE paper 2002-01-2891, 2002
- Selim M.Y.E., Ghannam M.T., “Performance and engine roughness of a diesel engine running on stabilised water diesel emulsion”, SAE paper 2007-24-0132, 2007
- Chen A.G., Maloney D.J., Day W.H., “Humid air NOx reduction effect on liquid fuel combustion”, Journal of Engineering for gas Turbines and Power, ASME, Vol. 126, 69 – 74, 2004
- Bhargava A., Colket M., Sowa W., “An experimental and modelling study of humid air premixed flames”, Journal of Engineering for gas Turbines and Power, ASME, Vol. 122, 405 – 411, 2000
- Ishida M., Ueki H., Sakaguchi D., “Prediction of NOx reduction rate due to port water injection in a DI diesel engine”, SAE paper 972961, 1997
- Velji A., Remmels W., Schmidt R.M., “Water to reduce NOx emissions in diesel engines – A basic study, MTU – Germany
- Jacobs T.J., Assanis D.N., “The attainment of premixed compression ignition low-temperature combustion in a compression ignition direct injection engine”, Elsevier, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2006.08.113, 2007
- Genzale C.L., Reitz R.D., Musculus M.P.B., “Effects of spray targeting on mixture development and emissions formation in late-injection low-temperature heavy-duty diesel combustion”, Elsevier, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, doi: 10.1016/j.proci.2008.06.072, 2009
- Marine Vessel exhaust emissions – Phase II (1998-99) prepared for Transportation Development Centre, Transport Canada 999 Emissions research and Measurement Division Environment Canada
- Imahashi T., Hashimoto K., Hayashi J.I., Yamada T., “Research on Nox Reduction for Large Marine Diesel Engines”, ISME Yokohama 1995
- Srinivasan R., “Research on exhaust emissions reduction technologies from large marine diesel engines”, Matson Navigation Company Inc.
- Lövblad G., Profu E.F., “Experiences from use of some techniques to reduce emissions from ships”, IVL, Swedish Maritime Administration and the Region Västra Götaland Sweden 2006
- DeMers D., Walters G., “BAE SYSTEMS Guide to Exhaust Emission Control Options” CIMAC Committee, 1999
- Maiboom A., Tauzia X., Hétet J.F., “Experimental study of various effects of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on combustion and emissions of an automotive direct injection diesel engine”, Energy, Vol. 33, 22-34, 2008.
- Maiboom A., Tauzia X., Hétet J.F., “Influence of high rates of supplemental cooled EGR on NOx and PM emissions of an automotive HSDI diesel engine using an LP EGR loop”, International Journal of Energy Research, 2008.
- Matsuo O., Noriyuki K., Yujiro T., Kazuyuki N., Koichi Y., “Effects of EGR with a supplemental manifold Water Injection to control exhaust emissions from heavy-Duty Diesel powered vehicles” SAE paper 910739, 1991
- Maiboom A., Tauzia X., Hétet J.F., “Influence of high rates of supplemental cooled EGR on NOx and PM emissions of an automotive HSDI Engine using an LP EGR loop”, International Journal of Energy Research, 2008
- Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, Heywood (McGraw-Hill Book Company), 1988.
- Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines, Stone (The MacMillan Press), 1992.