This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Potential of Synergies in a Vehicle for Variable Mixtures of CNG and Hydrogen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Synergies in infrastructure and customer acceptance can be achieved by running internal combustion engines on mixtures of hydrogen and natural gas. Alongside the bridging effect between natural gas and hydrogen, such mixing offers advantages in terms of reduced emissions and improvements to the combustion process. The wide ignition limits and high flame speed of hydrogen have as positive an impact on the combustion of H2NG mixture as does the higher energy density of natural gas on range.
A bi-fuel gasoline-natural gas vehicle was adapted to operation with gasoline, natural gas, hydrogen and any H2NG mixtures. For that purpose, the intake manifold was replaced by an aluminum construction, the injectors were replaced and the ECU had to be adjusted. Essentially quality-controlled hydrogen operation was possible throughout the engine map. As for the vehicle, the original tanks were replaced by 350 bar hydrogen tanks, and all obligations for road homologation were fulfilled through gas-tight encapsulation of the whole tank system. An innovative electronic gas safety system was developed and employed with online monitoring of fill level, gas consumption and leak tightness.
CitationHelmut, E., Klaus, S., Daniel, L., Manfred, K. et al., "Potential of Synergies in a Vehicle for Variable Mixtures of CNG and Hydrogen," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1420, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1420.
- Eichlseder H. Klell M. Wasserstoff in der Fahrzeugtechnik [Hydrogen in automotive technology] Vieweg Teubner Wiesbaden 2008
- Klell M. Kindermann H. Jogl C. Thermodynamics of gaseous and liquid hydrogen storage, Proc. 2nd International Hydrogen Energy Congress, 13-15 July 2007 IHA, Istanbul, Turkey
- Pischinger R. Klell M. Sams T. Thermodynamik der Verbrennungskraftmaschine, Springer Verlag Wien-New York, 2. Auflage, ISBN 978-3-211-83679-8 2002
- Thien U. Schaffer K. M. Eichlseder H. “1,6l Supercharged Engine for CNG Motorization of a Sportive Vehicle” Proceeding, 27. Int. Vienna Motor Symposium, 27-28 April 2006; VDI Reihe 12 Nr. 622 (ISBN 3-18-362212-2), 115-136 2006
- Eichlseder H. Wallner T. Freymann R. Ringler J. The Potential of Hydrogen Internal Combustion in a Future Mobility Scenario, SAE Paper 2003-01-2267 2003
- Grabner P. Wimmer A. Gerbig F. Krohmer A. Hydrogen as a Fuel for Internal Combustion Engines -Properties, Problems and Chances, 5th Intern. Colloquium FUELS, 3-13 2005
- Leitner D. Umrüstung eines Erdgasottomotors auf Wasserstoffbetrieb [Modification of a natural gas SI engine for hydrogen operation]. Diploma thesis, Institut für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen and Thermodynamik, TU Graz 15/05/2008
- Akansu S. O. Dulger Z. Kahraman N. Veziroglu T. N. Internal combustion engines fueled by natural gas-hydrogen mixtures, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 29 (2004) 1527-1539, Elsevier, Science direct January 2004
- ECE-R-110; Agreement concerning the adoption of uniform technical prescriptions for wheeled vehicles, equipment and parts which can be fitted and/or be used on wheeled vehicles and the conditions for reciprocal recognition of approvals granted on the basis of these prescriptions 2008
- Heffel J.W. Das L. M. Park Ch. S. Norbeck J.M. An Assessment of Flow Characteristics and Energy Levels from a Gaseous Fuel Injector using Hydrogen and Natural Gas, SAE Paper No. 2001-28-0031 2001
- Heffel W. J. Norbeck J. M. Park Ch. S. Scott P. B. Development of a Variable Blend Hydrogen-Natural Gas Internal Combustion Engine. Part 1-Sensor Development, SAE 1999-01-2899
- Holbery J. Blau P. Reister L. Surface Engineering of Sliding Contacts in the Hydrogen Servic Environment Pacific Northwest National Laboratory March 2006
- Robert Bosch GmbH Ottomotormanagement; Systeme und Komponenten. Vieweg Verlag, 3. Auflage 2007
- Kabat D.M. Heffel J. W. Durability Implications of Neat Hydrogen under Sonic Flow Conditions on Pulse-Width Modulated Injectors, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 2001
- Karner D. Francfort J. High-percentage hydrogen/CNG-blend Ford F-150 operating summary, U.S. Departement of Energy FreedomCAR & Vehicle Technologies, Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity January 2003
- Kilgus D. Life Cycle Assessment of a Demonstration project, Vehicle Use of Hydrogen Blended Gas, Master thesis, Chalmers University of Technology 2005
- ÖVGW Richtlinie G95; Erdgasbetriebene Kraftfahrzeuge; Herstellung, Betrieb and Reparatur [Natural-gas-powered vehicles, manufacture, operation and repair]; Österreichische Vereinigung für das Gasand Wasserfach; July 2000
- Tunestål P. Christensen M. Einewall P. Andersson T. Johansson B. Hydrogen Addition For Improved Lean Burn, Capability of Slowand Fast Burning Natural, Gas Combustion Chambers, SAE Paper No. 2002-01-2686 2002
- UN ECE WP.29 GRPE Informal Group, Draft ECE Compressed Gaseous Hydrogen Regulation Revision 12b 2003
- VdTÜV Merkblatt 757; Hochdruck- Erdgasanlagen (CNG), Anforderungen an Hochdruck- Erdgasanlagen zum Antrieb von Kraftfahrzeugen [High-pressure natural gas installations, requirements for vehicle propulsion systems]; Edition 08.04