This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and CFD Simulation of a Battery Module for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Pack
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) analysis was performed using FLUENT to analyze the fluid thermal performance of a Battery cell container for the Ford Fusion Hybrid Electric Vehicle. The objective of the design was to maintain the cells in their desired operating temperature range with a near uniform temperature among the battery cells in the container, while minimizing energy losses associated with the pressure drop. Groupings of multiple such containers were assembled for bench test confirmation. Excellent agreement was obtained for air side pressure drop between the CFD and hardware physical properties. Multiple design iterations were made to improve the baseline design. Ultimately, the thermal gradient within the physical property was reduced to 1.8°C with a minimal increase in system pressure drop.
CitationGhosh, D., Maguire, P., and Zhu, D., "Design and CFD Simulation of a Battery Module for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Pack," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1386, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1386.
- Zolot M. Kelly K. Keyser M. Mihalic M. Pesaran A. Hieronymus A. Thermal Evaluation of the Honda Insight Battery Pack 36th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 2001
- Yusaku N. Kosaka H. Development of the Intelligent Power Unit for the V6 Hybrid Midsize Sedan Presented at 2005 SAE World Congress, 2005-01-0275 2005
- Oda T. Okajima H. Horiuchi T. “Power Supply Apparatus” Aug. 12 2003
- Zolot M. Pesaran A. Mihalic M. Thermal Evaluation of Toyota Prius Battery Pack Presented at FutureCar Conference, 2002-01-1962 2002
- Maguire Patrick Zhu Douglas Patel David Elder Ronald Younis Hisham Gonzales Philip “High Voltage Battery System for Automotive Applications” March 16 2005
- Ghosh Debashis Hambruch John “Design for Reducing Thermal Spreads within a Battery Module” June 21 2007