This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Scanning Electron Microscopy and Raman Spectroscopy Studies of ULSD and Biodiesel Soot Loading in a Diesel Particulate Filter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel particulate filters (DPFs) were loaded and fractured to determine the time effect of loading, and loading differences between ULSD and a B20 biodiesel blend. DPFs were loaded in parallel for exposure times of 1, 2, 5 and 10 hours. Scanning electron microscopy and Raman spectroscopy were used to visualize loading and analyze the carbon structure of particulates on the filter substrate. Images of the soot cake were captured and the ‘pore-bridge’ was identified as an important feature in DPF functionality. Raman analysis revealed that the nature of the carbon soot structure did not become increasingly graphitic with loading time; the soot cake was observed to be a disordered, variable feature.
CitationCharbonneau, P. and Wallace, J., "Scanning Electron Microscopy and Raman Spectroscopy Studies of ULSD and Biodiesel Soot Loading in a Diesel Particulate Filter," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1261, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1261.
- USEPA 2002 A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions – Draft Technical Report, EPA420-P-01-001
- Jung H.J. Kittelson D.B. Zachariah M. 2006 The Characteristics of SME Biodiesel-Fueled Diesel Particle Emissions and the Kinetics of Oxidation Environ. Sci. Technol. 40 4949
- Williams A. McCormick R. Hayes R. Ireland J. Fang H. Effect of Biodiesel Blends on Diesel Particulate Filter Performance SAE World Congress 2006-01-3280 2006
- Boehman A.L. Song J. Alam M. 2005 Impact of Biodiesel on Diesel Soot and the Regeneration of Particulate Filters Energy & Fuels 19 1857
- Sadezky A. Muckenhuber H. Grothe H. Niessner R. Pöschl U. 2005 Raman microspectroscopy of soot and related carbonaceous materials: Spectral analysis and structural information Carbon 43 1731
- Fang H.L. Lance M.J. Influence of Soot Surface Changes on DPF Regenration SAE World Congress 2004-01-3043 2004
- Ivleva N.P. Messerer A. Yang X. Niessner R. Pöschl U. 2007 Raman Microspectroscopic Analysis of Changes in the Chemical Structure and Reactivity of Soot in a Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment Model System Environ. Sci. Technol. 41 3702
- Ivleva N.P. McKeon U. Niessner R. Pöschl U. 2007 Atmoshperic Aerosol Particle Samples Collected with an ELPI: Soot, Humic-Like Substances, and Inorganic Compounds Aer. Sci. Tech. 41 7 655
- Jääskeläinen H. Graham L. Baas C. Wallace J.S. The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel Blends on Diesel Particulate Filter Operation Presented at Mining Diesel Emissions Conference (MDEC) Toronto October 10-13 2006
- Gruber T. Zerda W. Gerspacher M. 1994 Raman Studies of Heat-Treated Carbon Blacks Carbon 32 1377
- Wang Y. Alsmeyer D.C. McCreery R.L. 1990 Raman Spectroscopy of Carbon Materials: Structural Basis of Observed Spectra Chem. Mater. 2 557
- Cuesta A. Dhamelincourt P. Laureyns J. 1994 Raman Microprobe Studies on Carbon Materials Carbon 32 1523
- Lespade P. Marchand A. 1984 Caracterisation de Materiaux Carbones par Microspectrometrie Raman Carbon 22 375
- Sze S.K. Siddique N. Sloan J.J. Escribano R. 2001 Raman Spectroscopic Characterization of Carbonaceous Aerosols” Atmos. Environ. 35 561
- Marchon B. Gui J. Grannen K. Rauch G.C. Ager J.W. II Silva S.R.P. Robertson J. 1997 Photoluminescence and Raman Spectroscopy in Hyrdrogenated Carbon Films” IEEE Trans Mag. 33 5