This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
3-D Numerical Analysis Investigating Distribution of Contact Pressures for a Number of Cylindrical Bearing Axial Profiles When Placed Under Radial Load Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increased torque values passing from engine to transmission have, increasingly become a problem regarding shaft misalignment. Engineers are restricted with regard to applying ISO standards when investigating bearing life cycles as they tend only to cover normal [radial thrust] load conditions. Depending on the application, the need has arisen for numerical models to determine reduction in normal life cycles due to abnormal running conditions.
The Simulia Finite Element package Abaqus v6.7 provides trends in the deformations, contact pressures and their respective distribution. It was found the most efficient profile, with regards to a uniform contact pressure, under both radial and misaligned conditions is the toroidal profile. It was also found that the toroidal bearing was subject to the greatest tilt moment. logarithmic profile shows, in opposition to the novel and toroidal type profiles, a poor distribution of contact pressure at low loadings however as loads are increased the distribution improves. The un-profiled roller produces high edge stresses even under relatively low load conditions, and shows a fairly linear relationship regarding the contact stress-load increase.
|Technical Paper||Studying the Axial Balance of External Gear Pumps|
|Technical Paper||Optimizing Transmission Bearing Selection and Assembly|
|Technical Paper||Estimation of the Gearbox No-Load Losses|
CitationBrown, J., Mao, K., and Parkin-Moore, D., "3-D Numerical Analysis Investigating Distribution of Contact Pressures for a Number of Cylindrical Bearing Axial Profiles When Placed Under Radial Load Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1193, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1193.
- Lundberg, G. Palmgren, A. Dynamic capacity of roller bearings Acta Polytech. Stand. Mech. Engng Sci. 3 1947
- Rahnejat, H. Gohar R. Design of profiled taper roller bearings Tribology international December 1979 275
- Reusner, H. The logarithmic roller profile –the key to superior performance of cylindrical and taper roller bearings Ball Bearing J. 230 1987 2 10
- Bhowmick, H. Tiwari R. Choudhary, G. Quasi-Static Analysis of Tapered Roller Bearings and Comparison of Bearing Lives for Different Roller Surface Profiles Indian Institute of Technology
- Horng, T. Ju, S. Cha. K. A Deformation Formula for Circular Crowned Roller Compressed Between Two Flat Plates Journal of Tribology. ASME 122 405 2000
- Kania. L. Modeling of rollers in calculation of slewing bearing with the use of finite elements mechanism and machine theory 41 2006
- Bhushan B. Modern Tribology handbook (Mechanics and materials science series) 2000
- SKF May 2004
- Wei, Y. Qin, Y. Balendra, R. Jiang FE analysis of a novel roller form: a deep end-cavity roller for roller-type bearings Journal of Materials Processing Technology 145 Iss 2 2004
- SKF May 2004
- Johnson Mechanics K. L. SIAM Rev. 29 Issue 2 332 333 June
- Abaqus Users Manual Simulia 2007