This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Further Analysis of Pickup Trucks Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aerodynamics plays an important role in marketing vehicles especially with the recent increases in gas prices. The aerodynamics of one of the widely used vehicle classes (pickup trucks) is examined. The focus is to investigate the effect of the pickup truck configuration on the structure of the airflow around the vehicle and ultimately on the generated aerodynamic drag. The study includes CFD simulations performed using STAR CCM+ developed by CD-Adapco Inc. and full-scale wind tunnel testing conducted in the Langley Full Scale Tunnel (LFST) located at the NASA Langley Research Center but operated by Old Dominion University. The studied pickup truck configurations include a simplified model (no sidewalls or tailgate) and tailgate-off, tailgate-down, and tailgate-up. In all the CFD simulations a generic geometry of an extended cab pickup truck is used. The results indicate that there is a large separation region downstream of the cab and that it controls the aerodynamic drag. The size and the strength of the circulating internal flow of this separation region are sensitive to the pickup configuration. Aerodynamic drag increases with increasing the vehicle speed and yaw angle. Sensitivity to yaw angle is limited to a certain maximum angle and depends on the pickup truck configuration.
CitationMokhtar, W., Britcher, C., and Camp, R., "Further Analysis of Pickup Trucks Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1161, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1161.
- Zhu, H. Yang, Z. “Simulation of Flow around a Generic Pickup Truck with RSM Model” SAE Paper No. 2008-01-0324 2008
- Al-Garni, A. Bernal, L. Khalighi, B. “Experimental Investigation of the Near Wake of a Pick-up Truck” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0651 2003
- Yang, Z. Khalighi, B. “CFD Simulation of Flow over Pickup Trucks” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0547 2005
- Cooper, K. “Pickup Truck Aerodynamics – Keep Your Tailgate Up” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1146 2004
- Wood, R. Bauer, S. “Simple and Low-Cost Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailer Trucks” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-3377 2003
- Britcher, C.P. “Jurassic Tunnel - The Life, Death and Resurrection of the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel” 2nd European Forum on Wind Tunnels and Wind Tunnel Test Techniques Churchill College Cambridge, England April 1997
- Bayraktar, I. Landman, D. Baysal, O. “Experimental and Computational Investigation of Ahmed Body for Ground Vehicle Aerodynamics,” SAE 2002 Transactions: Journal of Commercial Vehicles 110 Section 2 613 626