This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Regulated and NO 2 Emissions from a Euro 4 Passenger Car with Catalysed DPFs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) concentrations in European city street air have not decreased after year 2000 in spite of stringent Euro 3 and Euro 4 NOx limits for diesel passenger cars.
NO2 emissions from modern diesel vehicles are caused by platinum catalysed Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC) and platinum catalysed Diesel Particulate Filters (cDPF). The NO2 formed on DOC and cDPFs are used for passive soot regeneration but the excess of NO2 out of the filter is not controlled.
A Euro 4 diesel passenger car equipped with a DOC and a palladium base metal cDPF was compared with DOC plus a platinum based cDPF using NEDC test cycle with both cold and hot start, FTP-75, and Artemis test cycles. Emissions of NO2 and NOx were measured online in the raw exhaust, and with standard bag sampling method.
Relative to cold NEDC the NOx and NO2 levels increased with a warm engine. NOx emissions increased by a factor of 1.3 for the warm NEDC as well as for the FTP-75 tests, and by factors of 2 to 6 for the Artemis tests which represent real-world driving with high accelerations and high speed. In all tests, the NO2 levels for the Palladium cDPF were lower than for the Platinum cDPF, reduced by 30 to 80 % under similar test conditions. The Euro 4 regulated limits for CO, HC and PM were met for both types of cDPF. The platinum free catalytic coating on diesel filters can significantly help to reduce the high NO2 levels in city streets.
CitationMogensen, G., Johansen, K., and Karlsson, H., "Regulated and NO2 Emissions from a Euro 4 Passenger Car with Catalysed DPFs," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1083, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1083.
- Höpfner, U. et al. 2007 ‘Nitrogen Oxides from Vehicles - Never-ending Story?’ 28. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium, Fortschritt-Bericht VDI, Reihe 12, Verkehrstechnik/Fahrzeugtechnik, 639
- Johansen, Keld et al. “Novel base metal-palladium catalytic Diesel filter coating with NO 2 reducing properties” SAE 2007-01-1921
- André M 2004 ‘The ARTEMIS European driving cycles for measuring car pollutant emissions’ Science of the Total Environment 73
- Pelkmans L. Debal P. 2006 ‘Comparison of On-road Emissions with Emissions Measured on Chassis Dynamometer Test Cycles’ Transportation Research Part D 11 (4)
- Bosteels D May J. Karlsson H. de Serves C. “Regulated’ and ‘Non-regulated’ Emissions from Modern European Passenger Cars’” SAE 2006-01-1516
- Zervas E. Bikas G. 2008 ‘Impacts of the Driving Cycles on the NOx and Particulate Matter Exhaust Emissions of Diesel Passenger Cars’ Energy Fuels 22 (3)
- Khair M. Merritt P. Lu Q. Lemaire J. Morin J.-P. Johansen K. ‘Catalytic Formulation for NO 2 Suppression and Control’ SAE 2008-01-1548