This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Three-way Catalyst Selection on Component Pressure Drop and System Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this paper is to provide an estimate of the potential effect of substrate and exhaust system backpressure on engine performance. Parameters include fuel consumption, CO2 emissions, and horsepower. Results were obtained on an engine test stand, and statistical analysis was used to understand the relationships between variables. Tradeoffs between catalyst substrate selection and engine performance for the particular engine used in this study are described. Finally, the potential impact of exhaust system backpressure on real world driving conditions is discussed.
CitationPesansky, J., Majiros, N., Sorensen, C., and Thomas, D., "The Effect of Three-way Catalyst Selection on Component Pressure Drop and System Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1072, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1072.
- Lahousse, C. Favre, C Kern, B. Hadrane, H. Faillon, L. Brown, K. Blosser, P. Nunan, J. “Backpressure Characteristics of Modern Three-way Catalysts, Benefit on Engine Performance” SAE paper 2006-01-1062
- Ball, D. Tripp, G. Socha, L. Heibel, A. Kulkarni, M. Weber, P Linden, D “A Comparison of Emissions and Flow Restriction of Thinwall Ceramic Substrates for Low Emissions Vehicles” SAE paper 1999-01-0271
- Rossi C, Poggio L, Holzinger M., Pace L., Presti M., “Backpressure Optimized Metal Supported Close Coupled PE Catalyst – First Application on a Maserati Powertrain” SAE paper 2005-01-1105
- Adams, T. “Effect of Exhaust System Design on Engine Performance”, SAE paper 800319
- Park, D. Park, K. Park, S. Suh, H. Son, S. Choi, S, “The Effect of Semi-Active Muffler on Backpressure Characteristics and Engine Performance” SAE paper 2005-03-0118
- Sloss, J. Jordan, C. “Effect of Tailpipe Tip Orientation on Backpressure”, SAE paper 933041
- Bolt, J. Bergin, S. Vesper, F. ”The Influence of Exhaust Backpressure of a Piston Engine on Air Consumption, Performance, and Emissions” SAE paper 730195
- Florchinger P. “Modeling of Automotive Aftertreatment Catalysts” SAE paper 1999-01-3034
- Plint, M. Martyr, A. “Engine Testing, Theory and Practice” Butterworth-Heinemann 1995 (ISBN 0 7506 1668 7)