This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Case for Induction Motors with Die-cast Copper Rotors for High Efficiency Traction Motors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper considers the application of die-cast copper rotor induction motors in the drive system of parallel gas/electric hybrid vehicles and compares performance in a realistic driving scenario to that of a permanent magnet motor where efficiency is substantially reduced by PM drag loss. It is concluded from this analysis that the induction machine has a substantial advantage because it can be de-excited when it is not producing torque, eliminating no-load rotational magnetic and electrical loss.
Application of die-cast copper rotor traction motors in the hybrid drive system of the latest generation of large U.S. Army severe-duty trucks is then considered. Results of two different electric motor designs are presented, one with a cast aluminum rotor cage and one with a die-cast copper rotor cage. The copper die-cast rotor motor is shown to be 23% lighter and 30% smaller than the aluminum rotor machine.
CitationKirtley, J., Schiferl, R., Peters, D., and Brush, E., "The Case for Induction Motors with Die-cast Copper Rotors for High Efficiency Traction Motors," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0956, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0956.
- Peters, D.T. Cowie, J.G. Brush, E.F. Jr. Midson. S.P. “Use of High Temperature Die Materials and Hot Dies for High Pressure Die Casting Pure Copper and Copper Alloys.” Trans. of the North American Die Casting Association, Die Casting Congress Rosemont, IL 2002
- Peters, D.T. Cowie, J.G. Brush, E.F. Jr. Midson. S.P. “Advances in Pressure Die Casting of Electrical Grade Copper.” American Foundry Society Paper No. 02-002, Kansas City, MO 2002
- Kirtley, J.L. Jr. Cowie, J.G. Peters, D.T. Brush, E.F. Jr. “Die-cast Copper Rotors for Smaller High Efficiency Automobile Traction Motors.” Paper No. 07PFL-196, SAE 2007 World Congress
- Ayers, C.W. Hsu, J.S. Marlino, L.D. Miller, C.W. Ott G.W. Jr. Oland. C.B. Evaluation of 2004 Toyota Prius Hybrid Electric Drive System Interim Report Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Hsu, J.S, Nelson, S.C. Jallouk, P.A. Ayers, C.W. Wiles, R.H. Campbell, S.L. Coomer, C.L. Lowe, K.T. Burress T.A. Report on Prius Motor Thermal Management Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Bayer, J. Koplin, M. Butcher, J. Friedrick, K. Roebke, T. Wiegman, H. Bower. G.R. “Optimizing the University of Wisconsin’s Parallel Hybrid-Electric Aluminum Intensive Vehicle“” SAE Publication March 1999
- Kirtley, James L. Jr. Peters, Dale T. Cowie, J.G. Brush, Edwin F. Jr. ”Improved Hybrid Vehicle Traction Motors Using Cast Copper Rotor Induction Machines ” International Exhibition and Conference Ecological Vehicles and Renewable Energies March 29 to April 1 2007 Monaco
- Federal Test Procedure Review Project Preliminary Technical Report EPA May 1993