This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation of Spray-Wall Interaction of Diesel Sprays
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Wall wetting can occur irrespective of combustion concept in diesel engines, e.g. during the compression stroke. This action has been related to engine-out emissions in different ways, and an experimental investigation of impinging diesel sprays is thus made for a standard diesel fuel and a two-component model fuel (IDEA).
The experiment was performed at conditions corresponding to those found during the compression stroke in a heavy duty diesel engine. The spray characteristics of two fuels were measured using two different optical methods: a Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer (PDPA) and high-speed imaging. A temperature controlled wall equipped with rapid, coaxial thermocouples was used to record the change in surface temperature from the heat transfer of the impinging sprays. This work demonstrated that the two different fuels used in the experiments have spray characteristics that behave in a similar way for a relatively wide range of air temperatures and air pressures, before and after wall impingement.
CitationMagnusson, A. and Andersson, S., "An Experimental Investigation of Spray-Wall Interaction of Diesel Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0842, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0842.
- Zahdeh A.K. Henein N. Bryzik W. “Diesel Cold Starting: Actual Cycle Analysis Under Border-Line Conditions” SAE paper 900441 1990
- Gonzalez M.A. Borman G.L. Reitz R.D. “A Study of Diesel Cold Starting using Both Cycle Analysis and Multidimensional Calculations” SAE paper 910180 1991
- Osuka I. Nishimura M. Tanaka Y. Miyaki M. “Benefits of New Fuel Injection System Technology on Cold Startability of Diesel Engines – Improvement of Cold Startability and White Smoke Reduction by Means of Multi Injection with Common Rail Fuel System (ECD-12)” SAE paper 940586 1994
- Lippert A.M. Stanton D.W. Reitz R.D. Rutland C.J. Hallett W.L.H. “Investigating the Effect of Spray Targeting and Impingement on Diesel Engine Cold Start” SAE paper 2000-01-0269 2001
- Matsson A. Jakobsson L. Andersson S. “The Effect of Elliptical Nozzle Holes on Combustion and Emission Formation in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine” SAE paper 2000-01-1251 2000
- Matsson A. Jakobsson L. Andersson S. “The Effect of Non-Circular Nozzle Holes on Combustion and Emission Formation in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine” SAE paper 2002-01-2671 2002
- Rente T Gjirja S. Denbratt I. “Influence of Injection Parameters on the Local Crank Angle Resolved Heat Flux on the Piston Wall”, submitted for publication”
- Pickett L.M. López J.J. “Jet-Wall Interaction on Diesel Combustion and Soot Formation” SAE paper 2005-01-0921 2005
- Zhang Y Ito T. Nishida K. “Characterization of Mixture Formation in Split-Injection Diesel Sprays via Laser Absorption Scattering (LAS) Technique” SAE paper 2001-01-3498 2001
- Arcoumanis C. Chang J-C “Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics of Impinging Transient Diesel Sprays” SAE paper 940678 1994
- Schünemann E. Fedrow S. Leipertz A. “Droplet Size and Velocity Measurements for the Characterization of a Dl-Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Wall” SAE paper 982545 1998
- Meingast U. Staudt M. Reichelt L Renz U. Sommerhoff F.-Arnd “Analysis of Spray/Wall Interaction Under Diesel Engine Conditions” SAE paper 2000-01-0272 2000
- Joelsson T “PDPA Measurements of Diesel Fuel Droplets Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall” Master's Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology 2007
- Magnusson A. Joelsson T Turcan F. Andersson S. “Characterization of Diesel Model Fuel Sprays Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall using Rapid Thermocouples and PDPA (Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer)” 22nd IIass” Europe'08 2008
- Magnusson A. Jedrzejowski S. Andersson S. “Spray-wall Interaction: An Experimental Study of Multiple Injections of Standard Diesel” 20th IIass Europe'05, 2005
- Magnusson A. Jedrzejowski S. Andersson S. “Spray-Wall Interaction: Diesel Fuels Impinging on a Tempered Wall” SAE paper 2006-01-1116 2006
- Magnusson A. Jedrzejowski S. Andersson S. “Comparison of Heat Transfer and Spray Characteristics for a Model Fuel and Standard Diesel Sprays Interacting with a Temperature-Controlled Wall” THIESEL 2006 2006
- Allocca L. Belardini P. Bertoli C Corcione FE. Angelis F “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Diesel Spray” SAE paper 920576 1992
- Montorsi L. Magnusson A. Andersson S. “A Numerical and Experimental Study of Diesel Fuel Sprays Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall” SAE paper 2006-01-3333 2006
- Montorsi L. Magnusson A. Andersson S. “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of the Wall Film Thickness for Diesel Fuel Sprays Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall” SAE paper 2007-01-0486 2007
- Husberg T Gjirja S. Denbratt I. Omrane A. Aldén M. Engström J. “Piston Temperature Measurement by Use of Thermographic Phosphors and Thermocouples in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Run Under Partly Premixed Conditions” SAE paper 2005-01-1646 2005
- Harke M. Teppner R. Schultz O. Motschmann H. “Description of a Single Modular Optical Setup for Ellipsometry, Surface Plasmons, Waveguide Modes, and their Corresponding Imaging Techniques Including Brewster Angle Microscopy” American Institute of Physics 1997
- Magnusson A. Persson F Andersson M. Andersson S. “A Comparison of Spray Properties for Model Fuel and Standard Diesel Using Several Optical Methods” 19th IIass Europe'04 2004